Kids these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I am 18 and i had a 94' Camaro but have always been a fan of raw muscle. that's why i got rid of the camaro and got the malibu. it's so great i could not be happier. unless i had a G-body for a daily driver. that would top it off

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
Im almost 20 and have wanted a g-body since i was about 5. My neighbor had an awesome MCSS not sure the year but it made me fall in love with the cars seeing it everyday out my window. And finding a perfect condition cutlass with under 50,000 miles for $500 made my love grow even more. Now I honestly would not want any other car to drive

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
i only graduated high school 2 years ago, but the majority of cars in the parking lot were new bmw's a lexus or two, relatively new cars. the first day i pulled up in my el camino, it was 9 different colors (body work, and the fresh new cowl hood) and quiet, te stock exhaust was still on. right after school my dad took me to a body shop and had the car shot a vibrant red ( my mom didnt want it in the driveway looking the way it did, lol). next week i bring the car back with its gorgeous new paint, and as soon as it came back from the body shop that weekend my dad and i put the headers in but didnt have time for the exhaust, so i convinced my dad to let me bring it to school anyway. my god was it loud, it rattled the rear view mirror right off the windsheild. well, coming down the block, a bit too fast i might add, everyone in front of the school turned to look what the hell this thing was at 7 a.m roaring down the block, great feeling. i pull in back of the school and start to back into the spot and in the process set the girls alarm off of the bmw i was next too, i get out and look over to her to say sorry, but she just smiled. sorry for the book but that is my favorite story to tell about my car, and the topic sparked it.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I only saw a few cool cars during my 4 years of high school. A 60s fully restored muscle car that had to be the kids dads, a 80s-early 90s camaro which eventaully got totaled by the kid and a 90s camaro. One of the guys i knew had some ugly toyota or huyndai thing which made the yearbook. :roll: It wasnt even riced, or anything done to it. There was a beat up caprice or olds that was beat to sh*t.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Well I'm gonna start driving my cutlass to my high school at the end of this school year, so i should have the best car around :D

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
yeah ill be graduating this year and most of the cars in the aprking lot are newer cars, bmws,lexus, theres a brand new escalade with 22s, and 2 SS trailblazers. my car stands out in the parking lot but thats one of the reasons i love my car/ g bodys. they stick out from the crowd of mustangs and are unique. the only other olders cars are 2 late 70s camaros. one is black with silver stripes and the other (probably the kids dads car) is a white z 28 with a big blower scoop stickin out of the hood.(no s/c just the scoop) but for some reason i think these kids dont even understand or think twice about what they are driving.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Most G bodies were still fairly new cars when I was in high school in the mid 80's, so if there was one in the student parking lot, it was usually mom or dad's new or newer car. We had G body Malibus and Pontiacs as driver ed cars.

If you were a "lucky" kid, (parents bought you a car) you might have had a mid to late 70's Camaro or Firebird and thus convinced yourself you were cool even if it was one of the slacker models. A lot of kids got mom or dad's hand-me down. My one buddy got a '75 Olds 98 we called big blue with a 455. I laugh as we joked about it's poor gas mileage even back when gas was about .95 cents a gallon. My other buddy had a first issue '78 Dodge Omni with the VW built engine, talk about a POS! The fine Illinois snow blown by the wind would get under the timing cover and throw the belt off, which is why that car had twice as many miles on the back tires as the front- from being on the tow truck so much.

The coolest motorhead in school had a '72 Cutlass. He had a flex fan on it that probably made it sound more powerful than it was, yet he got some respect. Myself? I bought a motorcycle in high school with my Taco Bell paychecks, a '78 Honda CX500. My car choices were borrowing my dad's '82 Accord (nice, later given to me as a grad present), my mom's '83 Civic (not as nice as the Accord, sort of a sh*te-box), or my brother's '77 LTD wagon, actually a nice car until he got it and neglected it and turned it in to a POS as he still does with his cars to this day.

I didn't really start seeing G bodies as school kid cars until the late 80's/early '90's when they literally dominated the lots as they were hitting their peak in the used car market. It dropped off quickly as the G bodies were followed by the first generations of disposable front wheel drives, where you were lucky(er) if you had a Honda or Toyota, not so lucky if you had a Citation or Omni. Now that so many kids today are products of parents that divorced, I think one of the reasons so many have new cars is that they end up getting spoiled by one parent or the other and don't have to suffer through the period of the lame used car bought on the part time job paycheck.

-UT-

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
My first car was a 65 impala ss 396 4 speed convertible i pulled it out of a barn half way restored it and drove it.Was funny one kid had a 80s camaro but my impala got more looks and was faster.I do miss that car i wrapped it around a tree being a dumb 18 year old now i kick myself for it since the car is worth 50k now.I do get some odd looks daily driving a 68 mustang california special clone but i do get tired of hearing is that a shelby.My answer is find a shelby badge on it

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
i graduated last year there werent to many good cars mostly cavaliers and cars like that my monte also stuck out for being one of the nicest cars in the parking lot and also the oldest besides my freinds 78 rivi, but i was a autoshop kid so i got to park in the reseverd spots in the front row so everyone who pulled in or left seen my car

i m also one of those people who likes to stick out which is my i own a 1980 monte which there only 1 other 3rd gen wihin a 10 mile radius from me then alos i own the conquest which theres not to many around

and as for the girls i think they love the monte more then the little sports car i dont kno how many times cruising around i pulled up to a couple girls then on their other side a couple guys pull up next to them in a camaro or ws6 and the girls end up talkin to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor