MONTE CARLO L29 (Gen VI) swap questions

patracy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2023
I have seen a few threads here where people started these swaps. Unfortunately it looks like they never finished up the threads. I have already built the top end of the motor for my swap. I'm planning on also swapping in a 4L80e while this takes place. But I saw mention where the power steering pulley is too large and you need to swap in a 3.1 V6 pulley. I've got one ordered. But the big question for me now is the AC compressor. I saw mention in one build thread that the AC compressor didn't clear the hood. The user had posted a few more pics of the car driving with a stock hood on it, but no mention of how he got around it. I'm guessing he deleted the AC compressor for the time being.
How much clearance is needed for the compressor to fit under the hood? I planned to get a cowl hood anyhow. But I'd like to maybe see if I can make all this fit under a stock hood and keep AC. To further complicate things, I plan to add onto the stock bracket a mount to mount a procharger P1SC supercharger onto it as well. But I planned to tuck it outward and lower than the AC compressor with two idler pulleys inboard. (Probably use a timing belt idler from a modern car for a smaller diameter pulley)

patracy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2023
Link doesn't work, or I'm not allowed to see it/blocked. But the L29 isn't a LS series engine. It's a Gen 6 big block 454.

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I have seen a few threads here where people started these swaps. Unfortunately it looks like they never finished up the threads. I have already built the top end of the motor for my swap. I'm planning on also swapping in a 4L80e while this takes place. But I saw mention where the power steering pulley is too large and you need to swap in a 3.1 V6 pulley. I've got one ordered. But the big question for me now is the AC compressor. I saw mention in one build thread that the AC compressor didn't clear the hood. The user had posted a few more pics of the car driving with a stock hood on it, but no mention of how he got around it. I'm guessing he deleted the AC compressor for the time being.
How much clearance is needed for the compressor to fit under the hood? I planned to get a cowl hood anyhow. But I'd like to maybe see if I can make all this fit under a stock hood and keep AC. To further complicate things, I plan to add onto the stock bracket a mount to mount a procharger P1SC supercharger onto it as well. But I planned to tuck it outward and lower than the AC compressor with two idler pulleys inboard. (Probably use a timing belt idler from a modern car for a smaller diameter pulley)
I have been doing the same swap as you aside from the 4L80e transmission. I am just now getting to the accessory drive but haven't done much yet. Just by mounting the L29 AC/PS bracket it to the engine, it looks like even a smaller PS diameter pulley would be really close to the steering box. I also read somewhere that if you use a PS pump with reservoir, the reservoir will contact the bracket. I haven't had the time to really check the fitment of things just yet. I have also scoured this site and the web for info but no definitive answers.

One thing I did find from the web is the Kwik Performance brackets. I talked with a really informative guy there and he said their system moves the PS pump up and over out of the way of the steering box.

https://www.kwikperf.com/bbc-serpentine-accessory-drive-brackets-bbc-serpentine-conversion-kits.html

Here is my build...

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/midlife-crisis-monte-carlo-build.76980/

Reactions: 1 user

patracy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2023
I'm pretty sure Marauderprime got away with the stock L29 accessory brackets. But he did mention the 3.1 pulley for his pump. I found a pic in his thread where you can see the stock AC/PS bracket and stock PS pump mounted up. (No AC compressor though)

I honestly want to keep the factory bracket setup because I have a procharger that I'm working on modding a bracket to fit on that factory bracket. I hope to have it tuck in under the hood in the area where the vacuum canister ball is. (It's a reverse rotation supercharger)

Reactions: 1 users

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I would like to be able to use the factory setup as well if possible. If you find a solution, please let me know. I will keep an eye on this thread.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I'm going to straight up admit that I didn't build this car... 😇 It's actually a carb with the truck serp. Maybe it's on my computer but I couldn't find more relief cuts under the hood. The ones you see are mainly for the highest point on the tensioner and the ones toward the rear is there to clear the air cleaner stud. Sorry for the blurry camera shots, couple shots of the steering box/pulley clearance side and rear. You can see the contact with the belt on spirited shifting!!!

Attachments

• BBC_serp.JPG
    BBC_serp.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 68
  • PS _bracket.JPG
    PS _bracket.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
  • PS_pulley steer.JPG
    PS_pulley steer.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
  • MCSS_hood.JPG
    MCSS_hood.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: 1 user

patracy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2023
That's the older style serp setup and AC compressor. My compressor is the newer style and sits where that tensioner is on yours. Alt is about where the AC compressor is on yours. I'm guessing that's a truck accessory drive from a 88 to early 90's setup. (can't remember the year exact) I've got a pulley ordered that is only 5" in diameter. The first one I got ended up being warped. I hope I'll be able to get everything to clear (with a P1SC strapped to the side) under the stock hood. But if not, I'll get a cowl fiberglass bolt on hood which should give me a good bit of clearance.

patracy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2023
Yes, I'm going with a air gap dual plane. I'll be transplanting my holley sniper over to it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor