L31 into an '86 Regal Limited V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Any headers for a SBC in a Gbody should fit fine. Lots of header kits for '64-'72 Chevelle share Gbody part numbers too so they should be pretty close.

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
Doober said:
a pump from a '96-'97 Vortec truck is a drop-in into the tank.

Are you sure about this?

I bought an Airtex Pump from Summit a couple months ago that I have yet to install. If this is true, I'll return it and get a pump/sending unit from a truck.

Wouldn't the sending unit/pump from the truck be too tall? Isn't the truck's gas tank deeper from top to bottom than my G body Regal's?

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
Youll be good with a sender from a donor car either GN or 4.3 monte, or you can purchase new, as far as the pump I do beleive that the truck one is the same size pump as a cars pump as long as its HP EFI. Im doing a similar build for a friend, but its a LT1 motor. I donated him all the lines and my sending unit from my GN. Ive done quite a few of these swaps and plan on putting my L31 into my vette sometime in the summer and junk my z71.

Best of luck with your build, let me know if you need any info.

jjamm7667

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm dong something similar except I 'm switching to a carb setup. I got rid of my 78 cutlass so im looking for another good g-body to put it in. I want to see how yours turns out. I wanted to do the full swap (fuel injected) but decided to wait.

Attachments

• IMAG1214.jpg
    IMAG1214.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,715
  • IMAG1187.jpg
    IMAG1187.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,707

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
RUDE DOG said:
Youll be good with a sender from a donor car either GN or 4.3 monte, or you can purchase new, as far as the pump I do beleive that the truck one is the same size pump as a cars pump as long as its HP EFI. Im doing a similar build for a friend, but its a LT1 motor. I donated him all the lines and my sending unit from my GN. Ive done quite a few of these swaps and plan on putting my L31 into my vette sometime in the summer and junk my z71.

Best of luck with your build, let me know if you need any info.

Ok, let me get some clarification...

The truck in-tank sending unit has the fuel pump on it, right?

Does the sending unit from either a GN or 4.3L Monte have the fuel pump on it?

If the truck sending unit/pump is the same size I'd rather go with that way because it would be application specific as far as the engine is concerned, i.e. psi, flow rate, etc.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
The truck sending unit will not fit a g body tank, only the fuel pump will fit if you use a sending unit from a fuel injected gbody such as a GN or EFI 4.3 monte. You can purchase the tank with the unit used from the junk yard, or get a new sending unit from a vendor, and install it into your current tank. The benefits to getting a tank from a junk yard is that those tanks had internal baffles as the aftermarket doesnt offer them, at least I havent found them.

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
RUDE DOG said:
The truck sending unit will not fit a g body tank, only the fuel pump will fit if you use a sending unit from a fuel injected gbody such as a GN or EFI 4.3 monte. You can purchase the tank with the unit used from the junk yard, or get a new sending unit from a vendor, and install it into your current tank. The benefits to getting a tank from a junk yard is that those tanks had internal baffles as the aftermarket doesnt offer them, at least I havent found them.

Ok, so I could take the fuel pump off of the truck sending unit and install it on a sending unit from a fuel injected g body?

I didn't know that the fuel pump could be removed and interchanged like that.

I don't have the fuel pump or sending unit from the donor vehicle, is it wise to get one used?

And how hard is it to "fit" the fuel pump on the fuel injected g body sending unit?

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
The pump outer dimensions are the same its not hard to change out and you should go with a brand new one but its strictly up to you whether you want a used one to go bad and have to do it all again. Racetronix, builds a really nice sender with the pump already on in Stainless steel or regular for a decent price. I also found that gbodyparts has a new baffled tank in case you decide to go new, maybe they have the sending unit too.

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
RUDE DOG said:
The pump outer dimensions are the same its not hard to change out and you should go with a brand new one but its strictly up to you whether you want a used one to go bad and have to do it all again. Racetronix, builds a really nice sender with the pump already on in Stainless steel or regular for a decent price. I also found that gbodyparts has a new baffled tank in case you decide to go new, maybe they have the sending unit too.
You saying I should go with a brand new pump or brand new sending unit?

Is this the Racetronix one that you're talking about?
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=FPS-G7W255&eq=&Tp=

That's a decent price? Along w/ the harness they say you need, it comes to $239

No new tank for me now, I bought a new one a few years back from www.gastanks.com. Unless it has started to rust & corrode from the inside from sitting for 6 years (dang time flies), I'm gonna stick w/ it and get my money's worth.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
Thats the one, I also think its a good price for a stainless unit with pump installed. The tank should be good like you stated if it doesnt have rust, if it does have rust then you can always use some metal rescue and it should take care of any rust the tank might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor