L31 into an '86 Regal Limited V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
Ill compare your pinouts to the ones on my truck to see if they are the same. Ill also post the number on my ECM tomarrow eavening.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Maybe I missed it... why are you tracing down all this wiring again?

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
Doober said:
Maybe I missed it... why are you tracing down all this wiring again?

To figure out what pins to take out of the ecm connectors for things I won't need/use like O2 sensors after cats, emissions stuff, etc.

But I don't know what all I won't be needing/using.

I know this engine is pretty much a stand alone, self-contained unit,
But what won't I need, & thus can remove??

Should I get the ecm reprogrammed first, or at least talk to someone that does it about what I will & won't need to make this engine run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
I just compared the pinouts on my truck and its the same exact wiring you have. I am confused why so many discrepancies in the wiring schematics.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
ATL Regal said:
Should I get the ecm reprogrammed first, or at least talk to someone that does it about what I will & won't need to make this engine run.
Yes. Absolutely. Definitely. Yes.
Also, if your donor truck had a Passkey (anti-theft) system, it'll need to be programmed out. Otherwise your car won't start unless the entire system is present and active.

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
DRIVEN said:
ATL Regal said:
Yes. Absolutely. Definitely. Yes.
Also, if your donor truck had a Passkey (anti-theft) system, it'll need to be programmed out. Otherwise your car won't start unless the entire system is present and active.

Where can I find a place that re/programs ecm's in Atlanta?? I googled and came up with nothin.

How would I know if my old truck had a "Passkey"? It was my truck, I totaled it, its since been junked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
RUDE DOG said:
I just compared the pinouts on my truck and its the same exact wiring you have. I am confused why so many discrepancies in the wiring schematics.

I'ma try to get another wiring diagram from somewhere else. I'll look for the Mitchell one this time.

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
Also, is this that much of a rare swap??

Why isn't there hardly any info on this swap into G bodies?

I see F bodies, jeeps, chevelle's, even el Camino's (I know its a g body, but there are considerable differences concerning swaps).

What gives?! I know there are more mechanically inclined people that wanted to keep the fuel injection????

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
ATL Regal said:
RUDE DOG said:

I'ma try to get another wiring diagram from somewhere else. I'll look for the Mitchell one this time.

Thats what i used Mitchell from the local library and there is still a lot of differences, such as the red connector pin 8 is injector 1 control, but on cheap chiltons it says that pin 3 is injector 1. That explains the black wire you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor