L67 Fbird Revision B

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Honestly I was lucky these popped up. 16" 4th gen stuff comes up for sale all the time and OEM c5 or repop stuff comes up decently often. The only options I have for 17" are these speedlines, firehawk which are $$$, or the 5 spoke ones that I wanted but these came up at the right time or the right price.

The Upper midwest is kinda a pontiac hotspot but I'll admit I got lucky.

I saw a number of them on the road when we were visiting my friend in LaCrosse, WI

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Bummer news on the fireturd.

This winter has been very dry so Dad's been using the car through the warmer days.

Dad was about 30 miles from home getting supplies about 6 weeks ago and the engine started running really bad and had a dead miss. Limped it home, I talked to him in the phone a bit and thought it ate a lifter or pushrod or something along those lines as it was coughing out the throttle body.

The weekend later dad did some more investigation and tried to get the car started and it was locked up hard.

Got snow about 3 weeks ago and let that melt so he broke into it yesterday and found out the engine is expired.

Looks like one of the new ls6 valve springs I installed in 2014 broke and it hung a valve down. It was held up but at some point in the driveway it dropped and blasted a piston.

So I guess the engine comes out again and we gotta hunt down a new long block.

What sucks is in 2010-2014 l67's were $200-$300. I think I bought this engine in 2009 for $150.

Now a cheap one I don't trust is $400 and a decent one is $800. Frickin inflation.

Though winter for cars for dad and I. Went into September 30 with 3 running cars. April 5th and we have 0 running cars. This engine is toast. 2+2 is missing an engine. Cutlass trans is $3 grand of uselessness right now.

So yeah, you're supposed to come out of winter running stuff not broken stuff 😞

IMG_20240405_181820.jpg
IMG_20240405_184033.jpg
IMG_20240405_184035.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well that blows, but when I read the first line my mind went to some idiot crashing into him. At least this can be fixed.

Agreed, it sucks but we can fix mechanical stuff, body work is a problem haha.

Dad found a good l67 locally for $800. It's more than we'd want to pay, I think we got the original l67 for $175 back in 2010. The cheapest salvage yard l67 is $400 + tax + core so a $800 lower mile unit from a reputable local guy that specializes in parting out SSEI and GTP pontiacs is probably for the best.

The bigger decision is do we put the big cam & new valvesprings in the new engine, leaning towards no. If we do the cam the heads have to come off to cut the guides, springs have to get changed, head gaskets, studs, etc, etc. If we don't swap the cam the car will never go down the drag strip again but are we loosing anything out? Probably not. The car is destined to be a cruiser anyways.

But more power is more better....

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Scraped up a crusty l67 off the bottom of the marketplace for $250.

Popped up on marketplace around lunch Friday. Picked up the engine today. Spins over nice, plugs were used but decent, 160k, slipping trans. Blower and accessories have some corrosion but for what we're doing, no problem!

PXL_20240414_020249717.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor