L69 worth modifying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
I was reading a bunch of old threads this morning, and I see that no one favors a 305 at all.

This is depressing to me in a way because I was planning on doing a little bit of work on my Malibu's engine, which turned out to be a L69 from a 84 Monte SS. I hadn't planned on racing at the track or anything, but from what I have been reading, the 305 aren't worth sinking a dime into.

Is the L69 worth working on? She runs fine, smoke, and I really hadn't planned on engine change.

I'd like some opinions on the L69, if I could.

Thanks!

Shawn

devildog214

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 19, 2009
well it all depends how much power your after, 300-350crank hp is definitly feasable, anymore than that and you run the risk of blowing up your stock rear end or trans. You have the l69 which is definitly a little better to start with, the flat top pistons are one of the more important things on the l69, the aluminum manifold and crossfire heads are ok but nothing great. Headers and intake manifold will open it up a lil bit maybe 220chp if you lucky maybe 275 ft lbs. If you know your way around a q-jet, keep it, if not get a eddy carb or holley, whatever you preference. Heads and cam are what really make the 305 wake up. Cheapest is to find is c4 corvette 113 heads, they're aluminum 56 cc chambers and have 1.94 intake or exhaust valves cant remember, but those are the same specs as your l69 heads just flows a ton better. Theres an iron head version but i forget the casting numbers. Cam i would suggest something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60101/ thats still gotta chompy idle to it, but is still pretty mild. If you wanna go crazy find a compe xe 262 or 268 those are real radical and belong in 350s for the most part. I think those are too much cam but some will disagree. All this should cost around....1500 to 2000 bucks when its all said and done. You might make like 325 to 350hp no prob and put that malibu well into the 13's with a nice posi rear with mild gears (3.42s or 3.73s for a nice driver). 305s are good for a nice mild build, that wont blow anything up. But if you have an upgraded trans or rear (or have the money to replace when it does grenade) id say get a 350.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
You're not making a race car? Well if the engine runs fine and you're happy with it, then this is all I would do. Put some good exhaust on it, an aluminum Performer (or something equivalent) on. And if you want to do the work, put a mild cam in (and a new timing set). Other than that just you're average tune up and maintenance stuff. You could also upgrade your ignition too. And if you're into the chrome. Dress it up too.

With these upgrades you will see a noticeable gain in power. And if you ever swap a 350 in, you can swap all these part over.

84MonteCarla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2009
Cleveland, OH 44113
Don't touch the internals, especially if it runs fine. There are plenty of things to do before that.

In this order... K&N Filter, dual plane intake, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5 exhaust, 3.73 gears + posi and 2500-3000 converter. This is the recipe for a quick car, regardless of cubes. It's amazing how fast you can make a small block car without ever pulling a valve cover. If you still need more, buy a 350, all these parts will swap over.

Even though you can build a 305, a 350 will respond to any modification that much more.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
It's something to play with, and could become a "money pit". Mild cam, 1.6 rockers, decent intake and carb, I like Holley, and a set of headers with an equalizer pipe and at least 2 1/2" pipes. The HEI ignition should work well for you, maybe a better module, and good wires. I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions, mostly asking you why bother with it. ..........mickey-d :lol:

bigtrent

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
well u could keep the l69 and most of the parts will swap over. You could go vortec heads and they would be good on a bigger motor later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor