Lawn ornament

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That's a peeve of mine,these kids go from McDonald's to a parts store and don't know a Chevy from a Citroen. No wonder we always get the wrong parts

It's not just kids, it's people in general. The autoparts store just another job, now, for people who need jobs.

At our O'reilly's my teenager mocks the 50 something guy who works there for knowing so little about cars. He'd tells me stories of what "Byron" was telling customers while he was waiting in line to be served. If it was "Byron's" turn to wait on him, he'll turn to the next person in line and say "you can go ahead of me" and still get out of the store quicker than the person he gave his turn to.

This is the same store where the 20 something tattoo'd sleeve girl and the ricer guy are excellent and have found parts for me even the computer said they didn't have.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It's not just kids, it's people in general. The autoparts store just another job, now, for people who need jobs.

At our O'reilly's my teenager mocks the 50 something guy who works there for knowing so little about cars. He'd tells me stories of what "Byron" was telling customers while he was waiting in line to be served. If it was "Byron's" turn to wait on him, he'll turn to the next person in line and say "you can go ahead of me" and still get out of the store quicker than the person he gave his turn to.

This is the same store where the 20 something tattoo'd sleeve girl and the ricer guy are excellent and have found parts for me even the computer said they didn't have.
Here's one for ya :D.....
20087226_14_600_431.jpg

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I didn't think a lawn ornament would get so much attention. I was looking for the proper name of this thing and it sounds like its an econoline. I'm a boomer so I've been around awile, but I can't recall seeing one of these before. Maybe as a kid I just didn't notice them, I was drawn to the muscle cars the older kids in my neighborhood were driving.
As a kid I had a neighbor that had a Ford E pick-up,since I was real young I've always been drawn to the vehicles that were different.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
Appears 2b a Ford econoline ph up trk early 60's my friend has one. Has a whopping 170 CID 6 banger I no this sounds dumb fecal matter but it's a great little ride restored course New Englander Yankees would rather have it for a lawn ornament lol. But only other possible ID is a Corvair pk up but I doubt it. Would love to restore it if not tooooo far gone to a rustic piece of metal!

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Appears 2b a Ford econoline ph up trk early 60's my friend has one. Has a whopping 170 CID 6 banger I no this sounds dumb fecal matter but it's a great little ride restored course New Englander Yankees would rather have it for a lawn ornament lol. But only other possible ID is a Corvair pk up but I doubt it. Would love to restore it if not tooooo far gone to a rustic piece of metal!
We have a Pep boys that has one teller thats about my age that's an old race car builder. If I'm not sure about something I might want I'll go to him. EXPERT about anything Chevy.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

O'Reilly bought out a small local chain here (Frank's Auto Supermarket) & kept most of the people. They're the ones who knows something but the pay they get will lead to the "its a job" people sooner or later. For $8.50 do they need to know the difference between a spark plug from a tire valve.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I saw a lot of "desperation hiring" in my 14 years behind the parts counter, and some that would surprise you... worked with a little blonde gal, somewhere around 50, and guys would come in and ask for someone else, and I'd look at him and say that she had more knowledge in a parts store than the entire management staff (myself included) put together!

nowadays, it's just getting warm bodies behind the counters...

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Years back, when buying parts at the local Advance Auto. I recall some of the guys that worked there were genuine gearheads and knew their sh*t. I miss the old mom and pop parts stores.
You get personal service, and usually over time you build a rapport with the counter people/ owner(s).
Some of the counter people today couldn't give a hoot. If they didn't have the computer screen to rely on they'd be lost. That's why I always try to have the part # handy. It avoids wasting time...mostly mine.

When I worked in the parts dept. at my local Buick dealer back in the early '70's, there was a woman parts person. I'll tell you, she was sharp as a tack and knew where to find certain parts off the shelf without looking them up.... She was the last of her kind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor