Leaking window, please help stop the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's all good info but his car has a full vinal top and I did think that the qtr windo could just be reinstalled easily after removal. Someone else with landau experience will need to chime in.

the only difference between the window with a vinyl top and one without is one with vinyl does not have a rubber seal on the metal trim of the window. They both install the same..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when i put my windows in i used this with the onestep primer just do to that fact i hate the tar sealant u find it never worked well and it annoying to put on so far my windows have not leaked even with the sudden downpour we had here a few days ago but with this you really only ca install it once and be done http://3mcollision.com/products/adh...glass-urethane-windshield-adhesive-08693.html

Butyl needs to be used with these windows cause the urethane you used has to be cut to remove the window. Even if you can get a tool in there to cut the urethane it will be very difficult and with the threaded studs it'd be impossible. The butyl is used to seal the window, not to bond it. Butyl has been used on windows for decades so I don't know why you find it doesn't work well

Last edited:

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I am just really bad with bulty and since I was not going to remove the window ever again I wanted a nice clean seal

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I am just really bad with bulty and since I was not going to remove the window ever again I wanted a nice clean seal

it's good to be helpful but you should let people know the consequences of the method you use if you did realize that the window would have to be smashed if you ever want to remove it. . Another good thing with butyl is you don't have to clean off the butyl that is remains after you remove the window. To use urethane then all the butyl needs to be cleaned from the window and window ledge

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
That's all good info but his car has a full vinal top and I did think that the qtr windo could just be reinstalled easily after removal. Someone else with landau experience will need to chime in.

My Regal used to be a vinyl top before I removed it, the only difference is that the trim around the glass is cut shorter. However, the glass still seals directly against the body with no vinyl in the way.

One other possibility is there could be rust holes under the vinyl top allowing water to leak in. The factory performed much poorer bodywork on the roofs of vinyl top cars because they knew the vinyl would hide it and to cut costs. It is not uncommon for landau roof cars to have rusted out roofs hiding under the vinyl. As I said, I removed the landau roof off of my car and saw what a crappy job GM did on its roof, Ford and Mopar also cut corners on their vinyl tops like this.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

My Regal used to be a vinyl top before I removed it, the only difference is that the trim around the glass is cut shorter. However, the glass still seals directly against the body with no vinyl in the way.

One other possibility is there could be rust holes under the vinyl top allowing water to leak in. The factory performed much poorer bodywork on the roofs of vinyl top cars because they knew the vinyl would hide it and to cut costs. It is not uncommon for landau roof cars to have rusted out roofs hiding under the vinyl. As I said, I removed the landau roof off of my car and saw what a crappy job GM did on its roof, Ford and Mopar also did this to their vinyl tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor