Left Leg Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
So, I gotta ask.
How many of you guys have gotten in that "new to you" auto pickup and as you leave the driveway your left foot goes to floor and your right hand is pawing the air for a shifter that isn't there??:wtf:
My son looks over at me and sez " dad, you sold that one, remember??"
How many of you have pressed that phantom clutch pedal in your auto vehicles?
I do it all the time. I've always had a stick s10 for a daily driver for at least the last 15 years. And more than once I've gotten in my 442 and tried to push in the clutch before starting it.

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
So, I gotta ask.
How many of you guys have gotten in that "new to you" auto pickup and as you leave the driveway your left foot goes to floor and your right hand is pawing the air for a shifter that isn't there??:wtf:
My son looks over at me and sez " dad, you sold that one, remember??"
Happens to me all the time when I am in my wife's car.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I think I made the dent in the floorboard of my wife’s 2002 Subaru a little deeper every time I drove it right after getting out of the F350. That car had seriously an inch and a half of clutch pedal travel.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
7 years old. Dad finally got me a dirtbike motorcycle. 60cc Yamaha 2-stroke. He taught me how the engine turns and how a clutch worked and how it got moving. Took all of a coupla minutes. At 15 and getting my learner's permit, I got to drive the '76 Chevette my mother had. 4-banger with a 4-speed. First time in it I had no trouble due to riding motorcycles all those years.

Speaking of failed clutches while out and about, my wife and I were out in our '90 Honda Accord 5-speed back around 1999. She was driving. We stopped at a light and when it turned green, the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there (hydraulic slave cylinder failed). She kind of freaked as she didn't know what to do, the clutch is on the floor and it won't go into gear. I said get out and switch with me. I got in, turned off the car, and with left hand on the key and right hand on the stick, started cranking it with pressure to go into 1st gear. It engaged into 1st and the engine started with us rolling while cranking. I rev matched it the rest of the way home (didn't get any more lights).

She learned something that day.

So she learned that you had more skills than you had previously indicated - was that a new look she gave you hehe ;)

I remember, a long time ago, when my wife tried driving our only car home with the oil pressure light on - she made it home, but it didn't turn over the next morning. And 3/4 of the way through re-building the motor she asked me if I knew what I was doing. I told her I read a book and shook my head. 25 years later and she still questions me when I'm elbows deep in a motor.

Makes me smile thinking back to the1st time.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
How did I know I was marrying my wife? She was helping me move while we were in college. She drove Buford, my loaded-up hammered 82 C20, while I drove the UHaul. Dual tanks, dead gas gauge. While we were rolling down Wyoming Blvd (3 lanes, lots of traffic), it ran out of gas and she didn’t know about the rigged-up toggle switch under the dash. She dead-sticked it onto a side road, parked at the curb. In the shade. It took me a few minutes to find her, and I took my medicine after I told her about the dual tanks, and booted it right up. Did I mention that she asked me out on our first ‘it’s not a date’?

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I grew up in the suburbs of L.A./Orange County, Ca., and never drove anything until H.S. driver ed class in the mid 1970s. My stepfather (I refer to him as such, even though he and my mother never married) was working at the time as a car salesman (one of the many things that he did) and had use of a new or nearly new at the time VW Beetle, in which he taught me how to drive stick shift. He was always a wheeling-dealing type of guy, and we had many different vehicles come and go through the years. An early Honda car, an AZ600, if I remember correctly (this is before the first Honda Civic made) was a regular for me to be seen driving around. It had a 2cylinder with a 4spd. My mother said she always had nightmares of me getting in a wreck with that little car. I had my own VW Beetle later, in fact, I had 2 of them, a '64 and a '67, both stick shifts. The car I regret selling (idea for a new thread starter) was a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE, not knowing how rare they were even back when I had it in 1980. I have to honestly say that the Challenger was too much car for a reckless idiot like me. A 440 six-pack, auto, and a posi that I installed that my brother came across.
Don't hate me, but when I sold the Challenger, I bought a 1974 Ford Pinto. Yes, a Pinto, on November 1, 1981. I still have that Pinto to this day, 2.3L with a 4spd, although it quit running back in 1996, before I bought a 1979 Datsun pu with a 4spd. Next, in 2001 came my Caballero, a gift to my wife and I from her father, a factory 200ci v6 with 3spd Saginaw. That engine/transmission combo wore out, so now it is a 307sbc with a Borg-Warner T5.
Like someone said in an earlier post, "still rowing the gears"

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Forgot to mention, I have been a truck driver since 1984. Never had a two stick, but I've driven, 6spd, 8spd, 10spd, 13spd, and 18spd, plus the old Mack 10spd that has a reverse gear in every stick position.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
At one point, I went back and had a look around, the business was closed, but the truck was still parked out front.
View attachment 158700

Fast-forward to today - it's turned into a Quickie Mart.
View attachment 158701
This worlds is too small... I know that quickie mart rather well!

I had dabbled in driving manual from the time I was young but no one in my family owned one, so getting seat time was tough. Then I was I was 18 me and a friend purchased a 75' BMW 2002 that sat behind a house for a decade or so. Cleaned the points added gas and drove it to my buddys house a mile up the road, 4 speed manual. Kept the car for 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
It was the spring of 2019 and I went to a Chevy dealership and decided to buy a 2019 Camaro 1SS/1LE. It had been about 19 years since I failed miserably at figuring out a clutch but this time it would be different and 15000 miles later I’m still going.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
1977, 9 years old, 1975 Datsun PU, 4cyl, 4 sp. When dad and I would go to the pasture to feed the horses he would get out to open gate. I would jump over to driver's seat and wait. He'd then see me there and laugh, then get into passenger side. Open pasture, couldn't hurt anything, except maybe the transmission...
Memories.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor