Legacy 350 Block VS Vortec 350 Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Take a look at the GM 7395 cam used in the Ram Jet 350 and the HT383. Fairly mild but supports 1.6 roller rockers when used with stock Vortec heads

That Ram Jet cam 395 will make 350HP and 400FT with only a set of 1.6 rockers in a cheap vortec rebuild and a set of stock vortec heads. The stock valve springs will handle the lift of the 395 with 1.6 rockers with out a problem. I have that same motor and cam in my GMC. My bracket truck weights in a 4425lbs and run 14.50s all day long with a 3.42 gear. Fun ride, been running the same combination for 5 years and love the 73 mile round trip to the track and back every race weekend. Did the same set up in a pontiac Gbody and it went 13.50 with the same rear gear.

Reactions: 1 users

abrodeur79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2019
Edmonton, AB
A couple of items that haven't been referenced thus far, your 880 block with a 1 piece rear main seal requires a crank designed for a 1 piece rear main seal. The camshaft and timing set for that block needs to be the correct set and cam for the block. It is possible to use the wrong crank, cam and timing set, but it requires a bunch of machining and/or special parts that are not needed.

On the positive side, new parts for each setup are readily available and the factory roller cam setup is the most desirable as long as you stay below .550-.560 lift (I believe those lift numbers are correct - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.). Regarding heads, Vortec heads can be put on any SBC block, but they require a specific intake, and if you want to use facotry valvetrain, then they require self alighning rockers or standard rockers with guide plates.

Personally, I would not consider using a set of known good heads and all of the valve train components to go with them. They are expensive to rebuild and modifiy to handle any type of performance camshaft, and at the end of the day, they are limiting UNLESS a stockish build is all your after. Buy a set of assembled FloTek aluminum heads or assembled Promaxx in the area of $750-850 and be miles ahead of any stock SBC head. From there the price goes up, but many decent aluminum heads are available for less than $1500 per set assembled.

What else do you have with this block? Lifters, crank, rods?
I just have the block and crank. Nothing else.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
New Vortec heads are less than $400 each. Rebuilt kit with pistons and rings plus a set of reconditioned rods and pushrod kit should be $450ish. GMPP Hot Cam kit comes with 1.6 rockers plus springs locks and keepers. $500? May need to machine the spring pockets for that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

abrodeur79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2019
Edmonton, AB
New Vortec heads are less than $400 each. Rebuilt kit with pistons and rings plus a set of reconditioned rods and pushrod kit should be $450ish. GMPP Hot Cam kit comes with 1.6 rockers plus springs locks and keepers. $500? May need to machine the spring pockets for that one.

All those prices sound about spot on and is more or less my plan. Machine the block, see what size rebuild kit i need and order from either Summit or Rock Auto. I will spring for some new connecting rods from Summit or Rock Auto, new Vortec style heads (Summit has there own branded ones that seem like a great option and address all the OEM Vortec issues like cracking, and should be able to use a slightly "bigger" cam without needing to change much or anything) And that GM Performance cam kit sounds great and comes in cheaper than some of the options that Comp offers. They make a few "drop in" performance packs with cam, lifters, pushrods, spider, etc for around 800.

Bottom line, i feel much more informed about what direction to go with it and some truly great feedback on here (y):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor