Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
LS1GN said:
you're kidding right? G body is 5 on 4.75 A body is 5 on 5

and housing is wider too

'66-'72 A-bodies run the same 5 x 4.75 pattern the G-bodies do.

Winston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2009
Oklahoma
So I called a couple salvage yards around the area and one of em said "I have a couple of '70 Cutlass rear ends comin in soon but they wont fit in your 84 El Camino."
He said they won't be in for a couple weeks probably.

Bogus or truth?

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Winston said:
So I called a couple salvage yards around the area and one of em said "I have a couple of '70 Cutlass rear ends comin in soon but they wont fit in your 84 El Camino."

Bogus or truth?
They will fit your car with the swap kit for the upper/loolwer control arms from Iceman Racing or UMIPerformance...But I wouldn't go with the olds rear ends, not as strong as the 12 bolt rear,But they are stronger then the 7.5 you have now. They are two inches wider on each side, but that can be corrected with different backspacing on wheels....I have a '69 12 bolt from a Chevelle and it looks pretty damn good on my car...

Bald Menace

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2012
JBreu said:
Winston said:

Bogus or truth?
They will fit your car with the swap kit for the upper/loolwer control arms from Iceman Racing or UMIPerformance...But I wouldn't go with the olds rear ends, not as strong as the 12 bolt rear,But they are stronger then the 7.5 you have now. They are two inches wider on each side, but that can be corrected with different backspacing on wheels....I have a '69 12 bolt from a Chevelle and it looks pretty damn good on my car...

the corporate 8.5 has the same size pinion as a 12 bolt and is capable of holding up to a lot of abuse. dont think that the extra .125 diamter of the ring gear in a 12 bolt equates to a huge amount of extra strength. there are 8.5 ten bolts under cars that are well into the ten second quarter mile times and parts are much cheaper and easier to find than for the 12 bolt. i'd choose a bolt in axle 8.5 ten bolt over a c clip 12 bolt any day of the week. 71 and 72 olds have the 8.5 rears, i think 70 still had the 8.2 so be sure you check for the square lugs on the bottom of the housing before you plunk down your cash.

Winston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2009
Oklahoma
Fantastic. Karma just got ahold of me and the Camino. While driving home after dropping one of my coworkers off at his house so he wouldn't have to walk, the camino decides to just die without warning. Can't get it started again so I had to get a tow.

(I'm just going to use this thread for all things related to my Camino, good or bad)

Winston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2009
Oklahoma
403734_10150564475382488_500072487_8822654_30740610_n.jpg

Is going in on Sunday. Here's hoping it helps.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
FWIW, I have a buddy that built a 400 sbc and stuck it in his Malibu with 3.73 7.5" GM posi and ran 10 seconds on wheels-up launches for over 30 passes before it broke. I just put 3.42 gears and a GM posi in my 7.5. I'm estimating my motor at 425# tq., maybe more. With the Elky being lighter in the rear, if you're running street radials I don't think you'll ever break it.

Get that transmission in! Every time I complete something and get the car back on the street, it gives me new fire for the next round. Even if it seems silly to put it together just to take it apart again. It's the only way to go.

Winston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2009
Oklahoma
Excellent information. I've decided to just replace stuff as it breaks. Whether it's the rear or the driveshaft or trans or whatever. Doesn't mean I wont be shopping around for items :D

Winston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2009
Oklahoma
Trans still not in. Ended up having to work. Trying again this week.

HKDUP87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 6, 2011
SO.CAL.
Winston said:
28424_403340152487_500072487_4175839_5826753_n.jpg

28424_403340162487_500072487_4175840_6198930_n.jpg

The game we're playing is "Build my Camino". I have a lot of idea's for this car but not sure what order I should do them in or good places to buy parts from. So I'm asking for your help. Which order would you complete these things in and where would you source parts from?

Here's what you should know about it:
Worn out 305 in the bay
10 bolt rear end
TH350 that doesn't shift out of first (read: no reverse either)
The only gauges on the dash that work are speedo (it bounces) and fuel (dash lights don't even work)
Suspension is shot
Beauty rings on the wheels are pretty busted up and all 4 tires mismatch

(Aside from body work which needs to be done) The things I want to do are:
383 motor (open to other suggestions but I want 400 hp at least)
700R4 trans (to include crossmember and drive shaft)
unsure on what rear end to get
Convert to disc brakes all 4 corners
5 spoke wheels (no bigger than 18" probably)

Everything is scattered in my brain. I get online to look at parts and end up bouncing all over the place. Please give me some piece of mind and help me prioritize!
:blam:

edit: I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm going to be building this for mostly street and limited track use. Ideally I'll get it to the track as it sits now and get a run or 2 in then see where I'm at when I'm done. No hydraulics or airbag suspension or any of that in these plans.

CHECK THIS OUT IN MY PHOTOBUCKET. CLICK ON LINK
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m63 ... %20CAMINO/
F235A15D.jpg

100_0230.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor