lets see your elco's wheel and tire cmbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
i have an 81 elco and have 8 inch wide weld prostars with 3.5 backspace and was looking for a good tire combo. i was lookin at the hoosier qtps 28-11.5-15 but wasnt sure if theyll fit. thanks

Too wide for an 8" rim. You don't want more than a 275 or a 10.5". What will happen is the tire will want to hang over the rim way too much.
Play with this calculator, http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp you should use IE, and not Fire Fox, it just works better. I read somewhere that a decent rule of thumb is a 1" width on either side of the rim.

Attachments

• IMAG1405.jpg
    IMAG1405.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG1406.jpg
    IMAG1406.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 239
that tire has a tread of 10 inches and sectional width of 11.3 on an 8 inch rim. thats what hoosier measured them on and said is ok. thanks

81elcamino said:
that tire has a tread of 10 inches and sectional width of 11.3 on an 8 inch rim. thats what hoosier measured them on and said is ok. thanks

I still wouldn't do it. Underinflate those tires at the track and your in trouble. For the same reason I would never run 10.5" on a 7" rim, I wouldn't run an 11.5" on an 8" rim. With that backspace you have, you will not have clearance issues, it's more of a safety issue and what you really need. Unless you have a 1000 HP motor, you don't need 11.5" of rubber on a tire. There are car's in the 9's that run a 9" slick, no kidding. I run low 12's on a 275 drag radial and have no issues at all. 275 equates to roughly 10+". That's on a 8" rim and I'm already pushing the width. A 295 or 315 would be just too much in my opinion.
Good luck and think about it, if you really want 11.5" then go to a 10" rim.

I used that Quick Time Pro size on 8" rims for 4 seasons (some street as well)on my '79 'Bu. Ran them tubeless at 17 to 21 lbs. no problems. The last 2 seasons have switched to Hoosier drag radial 275-60x15, they roll a little better with excellent traction at 22 PSI. The bonus was nearly 90 more passes on a pair of tires!! Good Luck.

81elcamino said:
i have an 81 elco and have 8 inch wide weld prostars with 3.5 backspace and was looking for a good tire combo. i was lookin at the hoosier qtps 28-11.5-15 but wasnt sure if theyll fit. thanks

my 15x8 welds with about 4in backing rubbed with 275-60's until I put a 3/8 spacer behind the rim and all is well. Actually I wish the back end was a little lower. I'll be taking care of that as soon as I can find the time.

Attachments

• 100_0027.JPG
    100_0027.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 2,059
i have no idea what kinda rear wheels but there 15x8 and the fronts are stock 14x6 see below:
l_c51953f4f0162b8c700356ab90b1a3d0.jpg

and the elky above this post is SECKS-SEA! :mrgreen:

I'm a little suprized you had rub issues. My Cragars with 4.25 backspace and 275's cleared the frame by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Real close but no rub. Maybe those weld have a larger backspace? I also just put on M/T drag radials with the same 275-60-15 size and I'm still good.
nawlins-tim said:
my 15x8 welds with about 4in backing rubbed with 275-60's until I put a 3/8 spacer behind the rim and all is well. Actually I wish the back end was a little lower. I'll be taking care of that as soon as I can find the time.

hey nawlins-tim your elco looks great! you said you wanna fix the height of the rear. how much did it raise form stock with those tires? how much do you think is safe to lower it? hey beermonkey are those 28 tall rears? oh yea, i know theres a lot of crazy fast car on skinny tires the tire that i was looking at is almost the same as a 275-60. I talked to a couple of ppl about which tire to use and now im going to go with the 275-60 mickey drag radial since its more of a street car. its 28 tall, 9.5 tread and 11 inch sectional width. thanks a lot guys

hey dedub, how does your elco hook with the m/ts and that stroker motor you got? i have pretty much the hp/tq but im going to be spraying. thanks, joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor