Let's talk cams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well I'm going to be rebuilding the malibu's 350 here pretty soon and am in need of some consulting.

This is what the setup of the car is right now:

*350 standard bore 2 bolt mains
*Flat top hyper pistons, 10:1 CR (guessing)
*882 heads with slight port work, 2.02/1.60 valves
*SUM-1103, .442/.465 lift, 214/224 at .050, 2000-4500 power range
*Stamped steel factory 1.5 rockers
*Edelbrock performer intake, 600cfm edelbrock
*Flowtech headers, 2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust
*700r4 full built, Monte SS rear 3.73 posi

Now I bought a set of 1.6 stamp steel rockers and Crane lifters. I was thinking of giving the camshaft the extra lift to help broaden the power range since it is a really small operating range. Maybe I'm wrong in my thought process of added lift, if I am please let me know.

Now here are the questions:
*If I have a cam that produces under .500 lift with 1.5 rockers, but with 1.6 rockers it produces over .500 lift, then do I need to get larger valve springs if I'm running .500 lift springs
*Are there risks with running new lifters on an old camshaft, ie wiping out a lobe?
*What are the pros/cons to single vs. split pattern cams?
*What are the benefits to a numerically higher/lower LSA? I understand that the lower you go, the choppier the exhaust, while higher is better driveability.
*Should I stick with the cam I have to keep the lift under .500 with 1.6 rockers? Or should I go with a larger cam and 1.5 rockers?

My car is going to be primarily a weekend performer. I have the suspension built for excellent handling and want quick response off the line. I was looking at the Lunati Voodoo 60102 and Comp cams XE268H which seem to give me the best results via Camquest. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help guys and sorry to raise so many questions lol.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Hey pat, you're in luck! I'm still deciding on what cam i want to use, but i have two cams right now. Got an offer i couldn't pass up on after i bought the comp cams :p

I have a pretty much brand new Lunati cam, hydraulic flat tap.

Lift, Intake @ cam 2800, valve 420
exhaust @ cam 2947, valve 442

Rocker arm ratio, 1.5

Advertised duration, 262, 272

Its recommended for anything between 262 - 400 CU I.N

Sorry the specs are a little difficult to understand, this cam card is a little difficult to understand.

If your interested just shout out a price man, I don't have the lifters for the cam though.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Sorry about the double post. But i forgot to mention, if you're interested i have a set of heads dressed around the Lunati cam already, springs, valves, everything but rocker arms. They're cleaned up and where only used for a few months, ready to go. They're GM heads, cast iron, casting numbers 3998993. Not the best heads, So-so from what I've heard, but they HAVE been ported. And on a 302 motor with this cam, aluminum intake and a holley 780 mechanical secondary that motor was pulling a hair over 400HP. Let me know if you're interested man.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
get the xe268 or 268 voodoo and dont look back! you CAN put new lifters on an old cam, just dont put old lifters on a new cam. I wouldnt put new lifters on an old cam anyway. I wouldnt take any chances, just put a new cam, and dont put summits cams in there save up the extra 100 bucks, I had that same exact cam in a 350 with 416 heads with bigger valves and all performance upgrades just to drive around, it sucked... The voodoo is a better cam, will make more power and torque but moves it up just a little bit. It's between an xe268 and xe274 , the xe268 puts the torque down low, its just noisy, I have the xe268 in my vortec 355 and it scared me, thought I had wiped a lobe but didn't Its a great cam!! sounds good too!

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
oh and 993 heads are the EXACT same heads of 882 heads.. just different casting numbers

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
CamaroAdam, is this a comp cam or lunati cam your selling? Also can you tell me what the lift is for the cam? The only one I can see that comes close to the cam your explaining is Summit's cam with a 262/272 dur., .420/.442 lift.

I can see why summit's cams are not the best just because the duration is longer than that of a sizeable comp or lunati cam of the same lift and design.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Pat,
I am glad to see your back at it and not thinking about junkin your 'Bu..I was gonna gas my car up and come kick your a$$ :D , Anyways Bro, what kind of HP are you looking to get??? For starteres the cam you have now is MILD at best...If I were you..................I would go with the Eddy performer RPM can( 488/510) lift and it good between 1500-6500 and bulids great power at a decent price...If that's too big, go with the Eddy performer cam..that's a lil more mild...BUT a good cam. Hope this helps :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor