Liftgate hinge refurbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
I managed to scrounge up av pair of non-deflector rear glass hinges. But they have a lot of slop in them, and need to be refurbished.

Anyone have a how-to on removing the pins, install bushings, and replace the pin? I've searched around but could not find anything. Hesitant to just "go for it" as I don't want to ruin the hinges.

Grateful for any input. I suppose the hard part is getting the pins out and reusing them.

-Tommy

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
From what I can see, there are no bushings, just the pin through and into the Zinc castings.

You might be able to overbore the halves and make sleeves from some small brass tubing.

I would soak them well with a penetrant, as I fear the pin may be corroded to the castings which could break with the force of attempting to drive out the pins.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In the past I've used the sheathing from telephone wire to use as a bushing/ liner. The pins can be driven out with a slim punch. I would also suggest soaking the pins with penetrating oil before driving them out.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
Thanks for the input. It looks like there is a sliver of what used to be bushing material when I look closer. So a brass tube would be good solution.

When driving the pins back in - how to they lock in place? Just by friction, or will it need peening?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you can find brass tubing to fit, by all means use it. If I recall, the pins may have a spline at the end where the head is.
As Brian suggested, ^^ you might have to slightly bore out the holes to accommodate an oversize bushing. After all, the pin has to fit the bushing and the bushing has to fit the hinge halves. Good luck. It shouldn't be difficult.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you still have the old ones, see what works on one of them so you don’t destroy/damage the replacements

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor