LM7 Swap In 88 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trezzy98

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2012
I picked up a LM7 (5.3) and im looking to swap into my cutlass and need any and all input on the swap such as headers, motor mounts etc. going to run ac in the car as well. and also wanted to know which intake I can change to being that I have the truck intake on it so I can keep my stock hood..

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I picked up a LM7 (5.3) and im looking to swap into my cutlass and need any and all input on the swap such as headers, motor mounts etc. going to run ac in the car as well. and also wanted to know which intake I can change to being that I have the truck intake on it so I can keep my stock hood..

Did you do a search? There is a wealth of info on this forum. Beware that there is a lot of old info out there from some of the 1st cut and weld swaps were being done in G bodies before the good parts were available. The truck intake flows better than the car versions and with the right mounts (Hooker / Holley) it will fit under your cutlass hood.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1733542-new-hooker-g-body-ls-swap-system-preview.html

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Trezzy98

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2012
Did you do a search? There is a wealth of info on this forum. Beware that there is a lot of old info out there from some of the 1st cut and weld swaps were being done in G bodies before the good parts were available. The truck intake flows better than the car versions and with the right mounts (Hooker / Holley) it will fit under your cutlass hood.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1733542-new-hooker-g-body-ls-swap-system-preview.html

honestly I didn't do any on here I have been doing a little on google and its took me to other forums but I figured I could put a post up and see because most of the info I google was really old

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Theres a bunch of stuff on this forum. If you wanna know how to put a LS into a gbody this is the site. If you wanna know how to do work to the LS in question you would probably have better luck on LS1tech.com. Just from my experience anyway. Going to be a street car? Drag car?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm in the same boat man. Working on my LM7 going into an 87 cutlass with a pair of hair dryers eventually. I've learned a ton from the guys here, and as gbodyscuffle & anubis suggested...use ls1tech as much as possible to get the right parts if you need stuff.

We all love pics, so show us that motor lol! Here are a couple of mine....vacation is now in effect, should have the short block finished up this week woohoo!!!
20170414_163945.jpg
20170529_102133.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Theres so many ways to do it that it can be over whelming trying to learn it all. I too and LSing a gbody with plans of keeping the A/C. I just bought the holley mounts and pan. Im hoping they give me good clearance with the stock A/C box. More pricey they are though than other options by as much as double. There really isnt slot of info Ive found on the A/C part of it since most guy eliminate it. You need mounts, oil pan, you might be able to use manifolds and save a few bucks. Im going to run the shorty headers, Long tubes are better up high but Im not going to drag racing the car so the ease and price of the shorty's work for me. Im still trying to figure out what Im going to do for induction because I have a mixed and matched cable throttle body and 58x motor plus Im not sure if im going stick or stay auto.
Good luck and feel free to ask what ever you need to know. If I know Ill help

Reactions: 1 users

Trezzy98

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2012
Theres so many ways to do it that it can be over whelming trying to learn it all. I too and LSing a gbody with plans of keeping the A/C. I just bought the holley mounts and pan. Im hoping they give me good clearance with the stock A/C box. More pricey they are though than other options by as much as double. There really isnt slot of info Ive found on the A/C part of it since most guy eliminate it. You need mounts, oil pan, you might be able to use manifolds and save a few bucks. Im going to run the shorty headers, Long tubes are better up high but Im not going to drag racing the car so the ease and price of the shorty's work for me. Im still trying to figure out what Im going to do for induction because I have a mixed and matched cable throttle body and 58x motor plus Im not sure if im going stick or stay auto.
Good luck and feel free to ask what ever you need to know. If I know Ill help

ok cool im still browsing lol and looking just don't trust everything I see like some of the youtube videos and how they put a turbo on with stock bottom end

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
ok cool im still browsing lol and looking just don't trust everything I see like some of the youtube videos and how they put a turbo on with stock bottom end

I personally know guys that have bought 6.0's out of a junk yard and turbo-ed them to mid 8sec quarter mile runs. completely stock bottom ends. I think but cant say 100% that all they did were cams with valve springs and maybe a few little things. Ive seen videos of guys doing it with 5.3's and dont doubt it. There strong motors if you know how tune it so detonation is minimal it can be done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Trezzy98

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2012
I personally know guys that have bought 6.0's out of a junk yard and turbo-ed them to mid 8sec quarter mile runs. completely stock bottom ends. I think but cant say 100% that all they did were cams with valve springs and maybe a few little things. Ive seen videos of guys doing it with 5.3's and dont doubt it. There strong motors if you know how tune it so detonation is minimal it can be done.

yeah I know ive heard as long as I Put ARP bolts I should be fine but just wanna double check because im going to buy a 76mm turbo and go from there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor