LOOK AT THIS QUOTE!!!!!! 2004r with the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Pharozen said:
So just to make sure I'm clear on this; all you're saying is I need to swap out my motor mounts and my Olds 350 will fit fine?

Is that a difficult process to do?

You need to swap the frame mounts. The part that bolts to the frame.

You will also need the engine mounts for a 260/307 Cutlass. Those will bolt to the engine and will mate up to the frame mounts.

If you've got the body off the frame like you show in the picture it'll be a cinch. Worst part will be getting a socket to the backside of the frame bolts because you have to go up through the frame where the spring sits. Still not all that hard.

Frame mounts:

picture.php

Engine mounts:

images

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pharozen said:
galeaiii said:
As far as the price is concerned I paid about $500 less for my transmission and its better built. Check out the website and see for yourself. Extremeautomatics.com

I just checked out your link and I may be missing something but e tremendous automatic transmissions are more expensive than the ones at Bowtie Overdrives, not to mention it seems like I'm getting more with Bowtie as well. But like I said, I may be overlooking something too....

Compare this link to your trans and tell me what you think: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog ... ?ITEMID=12

Extreme Automatics v/s Bow Tie Overdrives
EA Stage 1 $1395.00
The build starts with only select cores
Case is media blasted and race preped
All bushing are replaced
All Torrington bearings are replaced
All thrust washers are replaced
All seals and gaskets are replaced
Harden stator installed in every unit
Harden Sun Gear Shell
Carbon Band installed in every unit
Billet anchor pin installed in every unit
New Pump assembly installed in every unit
EA Hi Pressure regulator valve and spring
EA Hi RPM pump priming spring
Billet pump rings
Pump drains drilled
Pump bushing staked
Tensioned Teflon sealing rings are used
3 clutch OD
Billet Aluminum Direct Apply Ring
Tested and sealed center support
Race clearances
Welded and Heat Treated Forward Drum
BR Servo
HO Low Roller Clutch
New OD Roller Clutch
Hi Performance Calibrated Valve Body **BRC
6 clutch direct Hi Performance Friction
Lock up or Non Lock-up
Governor Calibrated for approx 5000 RPM shifts
10 Vane pump Rotor and Slide assembly
1 Year Warranty ( 90 days on Forward Clutch Drum)

BTO High Performance Street - $1395.00

Our Level Two Transmissions have all the wonderful features of our Level One Transmission, but their built to handle more horsepower and feature firmer and quicker shifts. These units are still quite street able, however, they should be installed into performance oriented cars and trucks. They will handle a steady diet of around 450/500 hp and 400/450 ft/lbs. of torque. This Level Transmission is definitely a huge step up from what the popular brand name companies offer (according to their descriptions) and they still charge more! We have sold thousands of this Level Transmission over the last seven years with tremendous success. They have proven to be very reliable and tough in serious street performance vehicles.

Our Level Two Transmissions feature all the components and modifications built into our
Level One Transmission plus the following upgrades: ? New overrun and low/reverse sprag clutches.
? Our own custom machined billet servo with 11% larger surface area than Grand National servos.
? New hardened steel stator shaft.
? Upgrade to a ten vane pump rotor with new rotor, vanes, slider, "O" ring, seal and rubber spring and rotor guide. Thirteen vane pump is optional at no extra charge.
? Hardened steel pump guide rings to prevent breakage in severe high rpm operating situations.
? Main boost valve is upgraded to a .500" main boost valve and our oversized low/reverse boost valve produce higher operating pressures for firmer, quicker shifts and better clamping pressures in all gears.
? Reprogrammed for more aggressive shift timing and feel.

This is basic rebuild of the 2004R nothing special.

copied from http://extremeautomatics.com/eavscomp/th2004r.html

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
dogshit said:
fwiw I had great luck with both of the ones I bought from Extreme. Checked their website their stage 1 is good to 10.90 ETs or 500HP and guaranteed for a year for $1,495. More than you need for that Olds 350 but just saying.
Lonnie EA owner just picked up a trans Dyno. All his transmission's will be leaving fully tested. Not well yank it out & send it back & we will see if we can warranty it. I have sold Lonnies Extreme automatics Transmissions for 3+ years. I have never had 1 return.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
When I looked at EA trannys yesterday, I didn't see those figures and descriptions.....the price for a stage 2 was much higher and I didn't see many details, but let me go back and check it out again because I've been trying to decide between Bowtie Overdrives and Monster transmissions....
But to make everything much more complicated, my mechanic just told me that he may have a 700r4 for me that would save me a dollar.....so if I can get a 700 for a lot less,I may opt for the bigger more stout transmission. At least then, I will have more room to grow in my engine.

What y'all think?

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
To put a 700 in your car you will have to possibly get a different driveshaft and crossmember. The 700 is not more stout. Look at the comparison between the two on the link I gave earlier in this thread. I am by no means trying to convince you to buy a trans from Extreme Automatics but they have a very good reputation and stand behind their transmissions.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
galeaiii said:
To put a 700 in your car you will have to possibly get a different driveshaft and crossmember. The 700 is not more stout. Look at the comparison between the two on the link I gave earlier in this thread. I am by no means trying to convince you to buy a trans from Extreme Automatics but they have a very good reputation and stand behind their transmissions.

I understand where you're coming from totally, and I appreciate this dialogue. I'm just trying to be objective so I can make sure I make the best decision possible because I don't have extensive experience I this subject....just a passion for it.

So now to make this decision more difficult, you're saying that I will need to alter my drive shaft and cross member to make the 700 fit..... Geez! The more I learn, the more difficult this decision becomes.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Also realize you will have to run an adapter plate to run a 700R4 behind any engine that's not a Chevy. FWIW I've been running a stage 4 BTO 700R4 behind my engine for about 7 years or so with no problems and it makes well over 600 hp now that I've upped the compression and switched to E-85. Only problem I've had was grenading the TCI converter so I stepped up to a Vigilante from Precision Industries.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Taking a look at the Extreme Automatic's stage 2 2004r, it seems to be more much more transmission than what you need. Can't see you needing billet forward drum on a mild 350 and those are like $400 by themselves and I don't see the need for a billet servo either.

With that said, I would call Lonnie at Extreme Automatic and get the info you need from one of the best in the biz. Also, I can't see going the 700r4 route as being a good idea. Stick with the 2004r. Just talk to Lonnie.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I run EA transmission stage 1 that Lonnie built for me. I beat the living $hit out of it. I run a 2800 stall with 3:42 8.5 posi and love it. BTW, I bought it though Gbodyparts.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor