Lowering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I’ve read through all of the forums and still have a couple questions. I would like to lower my car a bit to close the fender gap. I’m just going to list all my questions.

1.Why would you use s10 spindles over normal drop spindles aren’t they the same thing?

2.if I’m trying to lower my car and improve geometry by using taller ball joints how do I determine what height a certain size ball joint will drop my car, is it even a lot?

3.Can I just change upper control arms with taller ball joints to improve geometry and drop the car or do I need to get lower control arms too?

4.If I use a drop spindle do I need different springs/shocks?

5.If I use a drop spring do I need different shocks?

6.What’s the best route If I want to drop my front end 2 inches if I want to incorporate tall ball joints. Like what would be the best combo. Drop Springs and ball joints? Spindle and ball joints?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
1) There are no drop spindles for a gbody, but the S10 spindles are the same as a Gbody and come in drop versions.

2) Only tall lower balljoints will drop your car, and they drop it by whatever additional height you get. 1" taller balljoint drops your car by 1"

3) Yes you can change just the uppers and add tall upper ball joints. This will not effect your ride height at all.

4) Technically no, but you may want them to stiffen the suspension so you don't bottom out.

5) No, don't need different shocks.

6) Drop springs, upper control arms with tall balljoints. That's just my opinion though. Others have done it differently and been happy with their results.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
1) They are no drop spindles for a gbody, but the S10 spindles are the same as a Gbody and come in drop versions.

2) Only tall lower balljoints will drop your car, and they drip it by whatever additional height you get. 1" taller valljoint drops your car by 1"

3) Yes you can change just the uppers and add tall upper ball joints. This will not effect your ride height at all.

4) Technically no, but you may want them to stiffen the suspension so you don't bottom out.

6) Drop springs, upper control arms with tall balljoints. That's just my opinion though. Others have done it differently and been happy with their results.
I was going to put 18s on my car Also with low profile tires. My car has a ground effects kit so I’m thinking I don’t have to lower it as much for it to look lowered

Reactions: 1 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
1) They are no drop spindles for a gbody, but the S10 spindles are the same as a Gbody and come in drop versions.

2) Only tall lower balljoints will drop your car, and they drip it by whatever additional height you get. 1" taller valljoint drops your car by 1"

Are those us mag ramblers on your car? If so those are the same exact wheels I was going to run haha lmao

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022

Okay i see. Thank you for the response super helpful

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Plenty of aftermarket Springs out there, since it still has stock springs I'd look into an aftermarket lowering spring that won't take it down too much. Hard to say what one will work given there are a bunch of variables. If you take it down a couple inches you don't need different shocks, but if your geometry is a critical factor to you, the longer Ball Joints and an Alignment will be needed.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Are those us mag ramblers on your car? If so those are the same exact wheels I was going to run haha lmao
They are not US mags. Vision Torque 143 18x9.5

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor