Lowering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
and if I change my upper ball joints can I just change the ball joint and put a taller one in the original upper control arm or do I need aftermarket upper control arms
You'll need shorter upper arms if going the tall BJ (or tall spindle) swap. Dialing in alignment will be a possible issue w/o them & the Camber curve might put things in a bind. This is one of those scenarios where one change requires other changes for everything to play together nicely.

Reactions: 1 users

edfiero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2022
Last year I removed S-10 drop spindle from my T-type Regal and went to Lowering Springs in the front instead. It drives SO MUCH BETTER now. I would never go back to those things.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Last year I removed S-10 drop spindle from my T-type Regal and went to Lowering Springs in the front instead. It drives SO MUCH BETTER now. I would never go back to those things.
Im interested in the drop spindles if youre willing to get rid of them now. PM me if so?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've done multiple vehicles using dropped spindles & haven't had a single issue w/them impacting the driving experience.
If the alignment is correct, there should be zero issues as far as drivability. Interference can be an issue w/dropped spindles. That can also be eliminated (or minimized) w/due diligence.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

edfiero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2022
I've done multiple vehicles using dropped spindles & haven't had a single issue w/them impacting the driving experience.
If the alignment is correct, there should be zero issues as far as drivability. Interference can be an issue w/dropped spindles. That can also be eliminated (or minimized) w/due diligence.
I don't know why they were an issue. Had the car aligned multiple times, but that didn't help. There were multiple issues with the spindles. Going over bumps one of the tires was always hitting the wheel well.... even after changing all the body bushings and shocks. Also, steering wasn't right. The wheel wouldn't 100% return to center after a turn. (Again, alignment and changing out the steering box didn't help). All problems went away after replacing the spindles for lowering springs.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I don't know why they were an issue. Had the car aligned multiple times, but that didn't help. There were multiple issues with the spindles. Going over bumps one of the tires was always hitting the wheel well.... even after changing all the body bushings and shocks. Also, steering wasn't right. The wheel wouldn't 100% return to center after a turn. (Again, alignment and changing out the steering box didn't help). All problems went away after replacing the spindles for lowering springs.

That was my experience also, put them on, drove about 3 miles, tires hit the fenders about 5 times, drove home and put the stock spindles back on. This was with stock springs, so stiffer springs might have helped.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I didn't notice any difference when I put my drop spindles in. When I did the swap I replaced the a-arm bushings, ball joints, springs/shocks, bump stops and brakes.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
While this is adding some detail regarding what you were dealing with.... It's not specifics.
I'm not suggesting that your experience was false since you're obviously happy w/the changes. I'm more interested in trying to determine the 'why' before blaming just the spindles as the culprit.

Going over bumps one of the tires was always hitting the wheel well.... even after changing all the body bushings and shocks
What size/how tall were the tires? Same wheels & tires from start to finish?
What was the condition of the old/removed body bushings vs. the new units when comparing?
Changed shocks from what to what (brands/models)?

Had the car aligned multiple times, but that didn't help
Also, steering wasn't right. The wheel wouldn't 100% return to center after a turn. (Again, alignment and changing out the steering box didn't help)

What were the alignment specs used for each set-up (stock spindle/'lowering' spring vs. drop spindle/stock spring)?
Same place/guy doing the alignments?

Investigating the answers of those specifics might help shed some light.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
So you just ran drop springs? Have you ran into any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor