CUTLASS LQ4 Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
I personally have not done the swap but I have been researching doing the same thing in a cutlass eventually(currently in the middle of a 455 swap). I know there are several aftermarket companies that make this simple. I think Holley has a complete swap kit as far as mounts and headers go, then the GN fuel tank and sender is an easy bolt in swap with just a couple wires to take care of power. as far as the ECM, there are plenty of companies that can reprogram your ECM to your car specs so it'll fire the first time and also modify the donor harness to be a simple 4-5 wires total to hook up. There are several budget LS swap video's on Youtube. Some of those guys have less than $1000 wrapped up in the entire swap and have some great tips and truck to any problems you may run into. would be worth a watch!

Would you mind giving me the budget build video links? I've had no luck in finding a decent one. Most videos I come across are like one off videos around 5 minutes long and super vague.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
EDIT: I went searching for your intro thread and found out you're currently running an Olds 307 V8.

Based on that, it would be easiest to swap in another Oldsmobile V8. Any other small block Olds will be a bolt-in replacement, so if you can find a 350 or a 403 then it will be as easy as possible. One tiny step up the ladder of difficulty would be to go with a big block Olds V8, such as a 455. I'm told the big block will attach to the same motor mounts as your small block engine, and I'm sure you'd enjoy the additional torque.

If you can't find an Olds V8 when junkyarding, don't despair. If you happen upon a Buick or Pontiac V8, they will still bolt up to your current transmission; you'll just need to swap to the correct motor mounts. If you can't find either of those brands, you can always go with a classic Chevy V8... though that would require you to swap engine mounts and the transmission (which is not a big deal).

Whichever engine you choose/find, I suggest you stick with a carburetor for simplicity's sake.

Ironically, I'm currently in talks on possibly buying a 455 Olds. I ran across it on facebook. We're currently negotiating price. What all would be different on a 455 swap? I've had no luck on finding any Olds 350 or 403. I'm basically on the line between the 455 Olds if we can agree or a LQ4.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Ironically, I'm currently in talks on possibly buying a 455 Olds. I ran across it on facebook. We're currently negotiating price. What all would be different on a 455 swap? I've had no luck on finding any Olds 350 or 403. I'm basically on the line between the 455 Olds if we can agree or a LQ4.

i'm putting a 455 in my 88 cutlass supreme classic, the swap was done before i got the car but it had a blown head gasket and a rob knocking. from everything i've seen they used the factory 307-350 olds engine mounts, 70 cutlass manifolds and a double hump transmission crossmember for the turbo 350 thats in it. everything else was swapped over from the old 307 minus a edelbrock intake and holley carb. they remove the ac and re glassed the hvac box for more clearance but may be capable to keepin a/c just might be a tight fit.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Would you mind giving me the budget build video links? I've had no luck in finding a decent one. Most videos I come across are like one off videos around 5 minutes long and super vague.

this is the one i watched, granted cost will vary depending on what parts you use and i'm not saying this is the correct way to do it. just a video i've watched.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I’m on board with do the 455 olds. The guys are right. The ls swap will be a tough swap for a first timer. There so many variables and so many things are just different enough to make you insane. Engine mounts, accessories, power steering pulley swap if necessary, oil pan, carb, mad and intake set up will run you roughly in the 9plus unless you find a deal or barter, and much more. The 455 should give you a nice boost in power from what you have now. You’ll be happy and then later on as you read and research you can decide if you still want to do ls swap Into something.
Just my 2 cents. But if you decide to go ahead with the ls swap I’ll help you all I can.

Reactions: 1 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I’m on board with do the 455 olds. The guys are right. The ls swap will be a tough swap for a first timer. There so many variables and so many things are just different enough to make you insane. Engine mounts, accessories, power steering pulley swap if necessary, oil pan, carb, mad and intake set up will run you roughly in the 9plus unless you find a deal or barter, and much more. The 455 should give you a nice boost in power from what you have now. You’ll be happy and then later on as you read and research you can decide if you still want to do ls swap Into something.
Just my 2 cents. But if you decide to go ahead with the ls swap I’ll help you all I can.

Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
What all would be different on a 455 swap?
I'm basically on the line between the 455 Olds if we can agree or a LQ4.

The 455 will be a lot easier than the LS swap, by a long shot. But don't fret--you'll still have a few fitment issues to challenge your mind. ;) My BBC fit with my stock A/C box in place, but it might be tight for your BBO. So many guys in this forum have done this swap, I'm sure they can tell you about the few issues and how to overcome them easily.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Cutting your engine swap teeth on designs that weren't meant to be used together is a steep learning curve. If your mechanical aptitude is up to the challenge then there are many resources available.

To do the LS swap you need to have an understanding of electricity and the ability to use a multimeter. I'm not saying you need to be a master electrician, but you can't be scared to turn on the multimeter. The mechanical aptitude that Turbolq4 is referencing is, at times, an aptitude to be creative. Nothing is going to fit like a glove. You'll have to make things fit and make things work. Things as simple as the radiator hoses, trans crossmember, transmission lines to cooler, etc, all will require some creativity and ability to make something work that will be reliable. And exhaust - you'll be fabbing it or taking it to an exhaust shop to have some custom pipes fabricated/bent for you. For me, these are the parts of the build that I enjoy because I like the level of accomplishment I get from doing something creative and seeing it come to fruition. But you may not have the same attitude, if you're easily frustrated, then perhaps something more conventional.

Onto the BBO program - absolutely nothing wrong going down that path either IMO. BB power, whether it be Olds, Buick, Chevy or Mopar, is still BB power. If you go this route you will develop a firm understanding of 'there is no replacement for displacement'. No crazy cam grinds and crappy idling motor is needed to roast a tire off from any BB. The downside to the BB program is finding a motor that doesn't need rebuilding - rebuilding a 455 Olds to stock or stock plus a little will be more than double of the price of the junkyard LS swap IMO.

A little easier than swapping in an LS motor and trans is swapping motor only along with a TH350 or TH400. FWIW, if your swapping the trans from the donor, then make sure it's a 4L80E. If all you can find is a 4L60E, then leave that heartbreaker at the junkyard. Not many will recommend a TH350 with an LS swap, but if you have no intention of getting into the 500HP range, then a TH350 will work just fine.

I can't disagree with any of the posts just previous to mine, but here's my 'budget' LS swap - TH350 or TH400 with a 5.3 with a microsquirt. I recommend a 5.3 unless you have the budget for a 6.0 - in this area the 6.0's are rare and expensive, whereas the 5.3's are cheap and the 4.8's are virtually free. A 5.3 with a cam swap will run neck and neck with any 6.0 and in stock form they are all over 300HP (which os more than driveable). I recommend a microsquirt because one can be had for sub $400 https://www.diyautotune.com/product/microsquirt-engine-management-system-w-8-39-wiring-harness/ and then an O2 sensor ($150-200) is needed. An inline fuel pump and filter ($150).

What is your skill set and budget?

Reactions: 1 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
On another note is this your daily driver or a toy? Remember that an swapping to another engine thats the same can be done in a weekend for a first timer but a swap to anything other than what came there will likely cause down time for that vehicle. The harder the swap the longer it will sit.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor