CUTLASS LQ4 Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
On another note is this your daily driver or a toy? Remember that an swapping to another engine thats the same can be done in a weekend for a first timer but a swap to anything other than what came there will likely cause down time for that vehicle. The harder the swap the longer it will sit.

Currently, the car I'm looking to put the engine is sitting. It sat for years on a farm and I finally have it and want to breath life into it. It's current engine (307) is locked up. I want to make it into a daily. I'm torn between doing a somewhat restore and keeping it Olds or Resto-modding it.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
To do the LS swap you need to have an understanding of electricity and the ability to use a multimeter. I'm not saying you need to be a master electrician, but you can't be scared to turn on the multimeter. The mechanical aptitude that Turbolq4 is referencing is, at times, an aptitude to be creative. Nothing is going to fit like a glove. You'll have to make things fit and make things work. Things as simple as the radiator hoses, trans crossmember, transmission lines to cooler, etc, all will require some creativity and ability to make something work that will be reliable. And exhaust - you'll be fabbing it or taking it to an exhaust shop to have some custom pipes fabricated/bent for you. For me, these are the parts of the build that I enjoy because I like the level of accomplishment I get from doing something creative and seeing it come to fruition. But you may not have the same attitude, if you're easily frustrated, then perhaps something more conventional.

Onto the BBO program - absolutely nothing wrong going down that path either IMO. BB power, whether it be Olds, Buick, Chevy or Mopar, is still BB power. If you go this route you will develop a firm understanding of 'there is no replacement for displacement'. No crazy cam grinds and crappy idling motor is needed to roast a tire off from any BB. The downside to the BB program is finding a motor that doesn't need rebuilding - rebuilding a 455 Olds to stock or stock plus a little will be more than double of the price of the junkyard LS swap IMO.

A little easier than swapping in an LS motor and trans is swapping motor only along with a TH350 or TH400. FWIW, if your swapping the trans from the donor, then make sure it's a 4L80E. If all you can find is a 4L60E, then leave that heartbreaker at the junkyard. Not many will recommend a TH350 with an LS swap, but if you have no intention of getting into the 500HP range, then a TH350 will work just fine.

I can't disagree with any of the posts just previous to mine, but here's my 'budget' LS swap - TH350 or TH400 with a 5.3 with a microsquirt. I recommend a 5.3 unless you have the budget for a 6.0 - in this area the 6.0's are rare and expensive, whereas the 5.3's are cheap and the 4.8's are virtually free. A 5.3 with a cam swap will run neck and neck with any 6.0 and in stock form they are all over 300HP (which os more than driveable). I recommend a microsquirt because one can be had for sub $400 https://www.diyautotune.com/product/microsquirt-engine-management-system-w-8-39-wiring-harness/ and then an O2 sensor ($150-200) is needed. An inline fuel pump and filter ($150).

What is your skill set and budget?

My skill set is super limited. I'm no master mechanic, I just know the maintenance basics (like changing brakes, oil, alternator, radiator, filters, etc.). I'm looking to use this car as my learning curve for project builds. Budget is touch and go. I don't have deep pockets to dive straight in but a rather part here and part there.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My skill set is super limited. I'm no master mechanic, I just know the maintenance basics (like changing brakes, oil, alternator, radiator, filters, etc.). I'm looking to use this car as my learning curve for project builds. Budget is touch and go. I don't have deep pockets to dive straight in but a rather part here and part there.

You ought to find out about the 455. Let us know what it's status is and we can help you determine if it's worth getting. The LS swap will have alot of potential to push you over the edge of your skill set from the sounds of it.

Edit : but I should mention, that I'm into helping you with the LS swap if you're willing to jump into it. You mentioned you don't have deep pockets - what does that mean? Can you spend the money I described in my previous post, more, less?

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Complete running parts cars/vans/trucks are your friend. Saves the need to make multiple trips to various yards trying to cobble parts together, wiring issues, and a myriad of other initially seemingly inconsequentials. I have been in the process of this for some time now when I could have essentially pulled outside of exhaust and a few ancillaries out of the donor. Don't be afraid of the smaller bore vorteck engines either, and they can be had for less than their bigger heavier counterparts in some cases.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor