LQ9/LQ4

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
80e's are a different length and require a different flywheel IF the engine you are buying came in front of a 60e.

80e uses the older .4" farther backwards (traditional SBC/BBC spacing, LS uses a crank that is .4" shorter from the crank flange to the trans block surface.

A 6.0 should already have the .4" spacer and flat flexplate.

They do make the .4" spacer, flywheels, and crank snout locators available.

Either get a flat flexplate (if yours doesnt have one) and the spacer, or get a dished 80e aftermarket flexplate and get a converter hub adapter.

Your 6.0 should already have one you need unless it came out of a denali or other 1500 equipped vehicle.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
So if I found a good running lq4 without the attached transmission it’s pretty safe to assume another good running 80e can plug and go right with it without any extras needed?

I like the idea of finding a good running transmission and adding that kit and not have to do a complete rebuild and I should be safe to 500-550 whp

Yes. Should work nicely

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
So if I found a good running lq4 without the attached transmission it’s pretty safe to assume another good running 80e can plug and go right with it without any extras needed?

I like the idea of finding a good running transmission and adding that kit and not have to do a complete rebuild and I should be safe to 500-550 whp

That will work. You will have the truck shift points until you reprogram the ecm. The modern electric transmission’s can have all the benefits of a shift kit with tuning alone. You will probably want an express van donor as it will be 2wd although a truck based tune will give you a potential for three shift profiles using the pin outs for tow mode and 4low, so that could be fun. You will need the drive by wire pedal from the donor vehicle, and the MAF sensor but all in all it’s not a super tough swap. Lots of info online about the wiring and needed swap parts. The ecm can do a LOT of you do your research and get the wiring diagrams to plan out your swap.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
You can tune the trans to an extent. The transgo2 kit actually changes some check balls and other things mechanically that the computer can't. It triples the torque capacity in third gear. It's a necessity for boosted applications imo.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You can tune the trans to an extent. The transgo2 kit actually changes some check balls and other things mechanically that the computer can't. It triples the torque capacity in third gear. It's a necessity for boosted applications imo.

Ok. I stand corrected. That’s good to know. ;)

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
That will work. You will have the truck shift points until you reprogram the ecm. The modern electric transmission’s can have all the benefits of a shift kit with tuning alone. You will probably want an express van donor as it will be 2wd although a truck based tune will give you a potential for three shift profiles using the pin outs for tow mode and 4low, so that could be fun. You will need the drive by wire pedal from the donor vehicle, and the MAF sensor but all in all it’s not a super tough swap. Lots of info online about the wiring and needed swap parts. The ecm can do a LOT of you do your research and get the wiring diagrams to plan out your swap.
I want to make sure I have it all down correctly because I’m looking into used motors now....

I need motor, accessories, harness, ecm (do I need any other computers or computer parts?)
Can the pedal (cable) be from any donor vehicle?
Does the MAF need to come from the original motor or if I bought and aftermarket or got a used one that would work too? Then all I need to do is find a 4L80e then I’ll be plug and play once my tune is done and driveshaft resized
Does the ecm need to come from that motor or can I have a tuner match any ecm to that motor and transmission

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The more parts you get with the donor, the fewer things you need to find later. I just got my last drop out for $500 Canuckistan dollars (about $400 US) - the only things I didn't get were the O2 sensors (junkyard guys are weird).

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I want to make sure I have it all down correctly because I’m looking into used motors now....

I need motor, accessories, harness, ecm (do I need any other computers or computer parts?)
Can the pedal (cable) be from any donor vehicle?
Does the MAF need to come from the original motor or if I bought and aftermarket or got a used one that would work too? Then all I need to do is find a 4L80e then I’ll be plug and play once my tune is done and driveshaft resized
Does the ecm need to come from that motor or can I have a tuner match any ecm to that motor and transmission

The throttle cable from a 99-06 style truck fits gbodys. You'll have to figure out how to attach it to the stock pedal but it's not hard, that's what's in my car. The maf from the same generation of truck/car will work. Connector for the 80e is the same as the 60 but needs to be pinned correctly. Ecm will have to have iac driver so usually in the same year range as cable driven throttle bodies.

Last edited:

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Good deal or not? New knock sensors 150-180k with harness. Does that harness look like it was cut? I’m not familiar with ls platform or computer systems much at all.
No transmission, I asked if he had ecm he said he has everything. Like I said I plan on doing no machine work, valve springs, pistons rods, bolts and port and polish.

Attachments

• 948B711C-A71F-4E32-94A7-26AEC26A341F.png
    948B711C-A71F-4E32-94A7-26AEC26A341F.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 254
  • AD8932DF-7485-4539-909C-275D791E9320.png
    AD8932DF-7485-4539-909C-275D791E9320.png
    3 MB · Views: 268
  • EF6E4018-B6E3-4A37-80F5-A987F0717D28.png
    EF6E4018-B6E3-4A37-80F5-A987F0717D28.png
    4 MB · Views: 258
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor