Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Good deal or not? New knock sensors 150-180k with harness. Does that harness look like it was cut? I’m not familiar with ls platform or computer systems much at all.
No transmission, I asked if he had ecm he said he has everything. Like I said I plan on doing no machine work, valve springs, rods pistons rings rod bolts and head bolts, and gaskets maybe a port and polish and slapping a turbo on it. He said a 480le came behind it

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have an 06 LQ4 and the cam sensor is still in the back of the block. I can't see anything of importance for the hose and other sh*t all over it.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
If that is an '05 I am a monkey's uncle - I am pretty certain the cam sensor sensor moved to the front cover in '05.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...arly-ls-engines-a-front-mount-ls2-cam-sensor/

That being said, run away! That thing is chopped up and anyone who cannot take a moment to uncover the engine from under a garden hose, cannot be trusted.
I was thinking the same thing. Me personally when I sell something I want it to look in the best condition possible... is that a fair price for everything included or no? I’m not sure what the factory harness looks like but rose wires appear to be cut don’t they

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I have an 06 LQ4 and the cam sensor is still in the back of the block. I can't see anything of importance for the hose and other sh*t all over it.
Do you think I should pass? It’s a 2.5 hr drive too I could probably get it for 650-700. I’d still need a transmission also and a gas pedal and I’m guessing MAF too

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd say you are rolling the dice on an engine that may or may not be in good working order, may or may not be complete, with a cut harness.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I would pass. LQ4s are the throw back engine and retained the rear cam sensor position far longer than others. I would question it as well except I pulled my engine out myself and knew it was factory stuff.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Yeah, the Gen III to Gen IV transition period is pretty vague. 13mm bolts on some, not on others; some with floating pins, others not... and so on.

Once again I will say: BUY A COMPLETE RUNNING DONOR. Make a friend who goes to auctions, look for a smashed truck, and toss them a case of beer for their services.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Some 04s with big rods, some not. I think they just used the old parts up first and didn't have an absolute change over date. I've seen several 6.0s with 10mm valley bolts and big rods but no 5.3s that way. Just can't tell from the outside so I question 04 engines in particular. I have to see inside them before I buy them.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A lot of good info here. But I have to say that with your conservative goal you could run a 4.8 or 5.3. 5.3 with Gen4 rods is all you need . Motörhead mike’s last post is extremely sound advice.

Good luck to you - Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor