1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ls 5.3 swap into my 85 el camino

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by hamiltonbs, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtmoney

bigtmoney Greasemonkey

That's a nice swap man, I'm driving a rental 2012 Tahoe with 16k miles and a 5.3 while my 1999 tahoe gets body work done w...I really want to get one of these and to put in my regal now.

2. hamiltonbs

hamiltonbs Not-quite-so-new-guy

the radiator hoses are stock ones for a 01 suburban that I just trimmed off a bit. No air yet, I planned on making a bracket that goes where the belt tensioner is and use a R4 compressor for a 90 chevy pickup. the A/C hoses I plan to use are for a 85 cutlass with a 307 olds. we will see how they work.

3. hamiltonbs

the headers are patriots for swapping a ls1 into a s10. I found them on ebay. they worked great!

4. thedoctorisin

thedoctorisin Greasemonkey

Very clean swap, I was looking at your pics in your profile earlier. With those iroc wheels, did you use just fronts or just rears or what? I always wondered because the fronts and rears have a different offset as a set.

5. motorholmes

motorholmes Master Mechanic

I think my AC pump was a '91 Caprice, or Camaro I don't remember. The bracket was kinda tricky, but it's always fun making your own stuff
    [​IMG]

6. hamiltonbs

that compressor bracket and mounting looks awesome, that is exacty how it looks in my head! My wheels are irocs off the 88-90 models. They are regular front and backs, I put the front on the back and the backs on the front with 1/2" spacers and longer studs. Thanks everyone on the positive coments, I am happy with the way it is going now!

7. 85GPLef41

85GPLef41 Royal Smart Person

I'm jealous... :wink: What transmission you using?

8. hamiltonbs

the trans is 350 turbo.

9. 85GPLef41

85GPLef41 Royal Smart Person

i looked at the modified crossmember and it's different then mine, But i had a 2004r, now i'm going with a 4l65E. Went with the same idea of extending the trans mount pad. 8)

10. galvesm

galvesm n00b

how much power does that 5.3l make might want to go that route because the motors are dirt cheap instead of an ls1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.