LS Disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hehe, I have read many comments regarding how LS swaps are "boring", done a gazillion times, "played out" or it's a "Chevy Engine" but the reality of it is no one cares, especially me. If I wanted to be unique I could have spent 20K on an Olds DX build with 442 cid but why spend that money on something that would under perform an LS build? Oh yea, its also been done before. The driver for most LS swaps is the leap from 50 year old technology, its a GM corporate platform, outstanding performance potential with great drivability, platform support and availability. I've noticed that many of those criticizing have not built an LS engine and know nothing more than what they read on line.

:popcorn:

View attachment 109435

As for me l never said l haven't build or been involved in building a turbo car and infact its a 84 Monty a buddy owns.

I'm not saying it's evil, l'm saying l'm not jumping on the band wagon to build one for myself.

I'm also saying l'll build what l want not just go with the flow.

My BBC's get sh*t milege, but there built and will remain BBC even if l blow them up, and l just don't give 2 sh*ts about the mileage. As for the LS 6.0 's l have, there AWD vehicles, get 19mpg, put l' ll save them from the turbo flood and put that saving in money towards the gas.

Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
  • Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Hehe, I have read many comments regarding how LS swaps are "boring", done a gazillion times, "played out" or it's a "Chevy Engine" but the reality of it is no one cares, especially me. If I wanted to be unique I could have spent 20K on an Olds DX build with 442 cid but why spend that money on something that would under perform an LS build? Oh yea, its also been done before. The driver for most LS swaps is the leap from 50 year old technology, its a GM corporate platform, outstanding performance potential with great drivability, platform support and availability. I've noticed that many of those criticizing have not built an LS engine and know nothing more than what they read on line.

:popcorn:

View attachment 109435

Then why handicap the advanced technology leap of LS engines by placing them in antique body platforms? It is like hanging a chandelier in a haunted house. Heck, some LS guys even view swapping into old cars as wastes of LS engines, and that one is better off buying a much newer car that is factory LS powered as it will also have many other advancements that can't be installed in old cars. Such as ABS brakes, airbags, stronger metals, better HVAC, more advanced suspensions, etc. Some of the point of owning a antique is that it is an antique, not turning it into an ad hoc modern machine because you can't afford to buy a more modern version. That is not to say modernization is a bad thing, but that not everyone is interested in doing so, or at least taking it to extremes.

• Winner

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Then why handicap the advanced technology leap of LS engines by placing them in antique body platforms? It is like hanging a chandelier in a haunted house. Heck, some LS guys even view swapping into old cars as wastes of LS engines, and that one is better off buying a much newer car that is factory LS powered as it will also have many other advancements that can't be installed in old cars. Such as ABS brakes, airbags, stronger metals, better HVAC, more advanced suspensions, etc. Some of the point of owning a antique is that it is an antique, not turning it into an ad hoc modern machine because you can't afford to buy a more modern version. That is not to say modernization is a bad thing, but that not everyone is interested in doing so, or at least taking it to extremes.
Maybe it's just the fact that you CAN do it, and have reliably good power and fuel efficiency, even in an antique car. It's what the essence of hot rodding is. That same statement in 1963 would still apply to some crazy bastards with the 1932 Ford sticking a big *ss 1950s Lincoln engine in it. Or some other V8. Modern engine in a jalopy? Blasphemer!

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree with this as well. Of course I also don't like sbc or bbc swaps into factory Olds V8 powered cars, especially the Hurst/Olds and 442.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad no one here is imposing it on others. A lot of really good points have been made and it makes for interesting reading and reflection. The bastardization of my car began with swapping the first 350, then the 403 and as many know I was in the process of building a 455 when I changed direction. The 6.2 swap into my 442 is hands down the best mod I have made to the car. No smoke, no smell, no leaks, a smooth idle, it's efficient, easier on the environment and unlike the Olds engines it has power where I need it (more mid and high RPM power but with a solid low end). When I first learned about LS swaps I had just completed an LT1 swap in my truck. I really resented people telling that the LS was a better engine and like many here quickly developed a negative attitude. Working on my Oldsmobile has been a very fulfilling hobby and I have enjoyed modifying my car over the years. I agree with olds307 and403 that putting a SBC or BBC in a BOP car is different but that's just my opinion. It is still better than swapping in God forbid a POS Dodge engine. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
There has been several good points made here and so far I'm impressed no one has really gotten butthurt about it. I does make for good reading. I do believe that you need to understand a persons motivation for doing what they do whether it is to improve a vehicles power, drivablitiy or looks. then they have to balance it with alot of other things such as support from spouse, work space, abilities and finances.So then everyone will look at a project and have a different expectation as to the finished product and how to get there. But one thing I think all car guys (and gals) can agree on is when some one takes the time to build the machine themselves to what they want it to be there is the reward,anyone with a paycheck can buy whatever they think is cool without the knowledge of what it takes to do a build. As I see it around here most here appreciate the energy and dedication to each build even if that is not the end product that talks to us.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Best air pump wins. Wanna know something funny? The new LT engines have better flowing heads - just wait until they catch on. Ain't nobody gonna even remember the LS.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor