Ls Engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrandbetsy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
I am thingking about doing and LS engine swap and i was wondering if anyone had done this and can give me a detailed list of everything to do this swap and i was told to use the caddy oil pan but they are had to find and i was going to us a 5.3l or a 4.8 cuz they are cheaper but not quite sure or if i should consider a different chevy engine with fuel injection. and please give me a detailed list of everything needed please thank you.

mike87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2010
homer glen illinois
#1 on the list is a tall stack of cash,my son did this swap and the list is far too long to list....just save up a bunch of money and dig in!!

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
bluegrandbetsy said:
I am thingking about doing and LS engine swap and i was wondering if anyone had done this and can give me a detailed list of everything to do this swap and i was told to use the caddy oil pan but they are had to find and i was going to us a 5.3l or a 4.8 cuz they are cheaper but not quite sure or if i should consider a different chevy engine with fuel injection. and please give me a detailed list of everything needed please thank you.
i have helped with several and am currently doing a little project :rofl: for my sons el camino...

anyhow, there are many things to consider and it wasnt all that bad of an install, i think with the first install, the biggest headache was the fuel set up and wires... i am comfortable now, with attempting my own clean up and strip down of the factory harness, but thats after helping with several of these swaps...

You need a good donor engine
if is is a vortec, you will prob need a hood scoop, or a bracket kit that will lower the alternator and change the intake to a LS1 style...
you can get a motor mount kit, but when you do, consider getting the one that allows the motor to sit an inch further back, this helps with clearing power steering box, etc.
you can add fuel pump, regulator, filter etc...
easiest way to get the wires done, is a painless type setup, or there are a few places to be trusted with altering you stock harness and making this plug and play as far as wiring... be careful to note where you will be putting the brain. (in the car vs in the engine compartment... or you can have a good shop wire it up, but that will run you around $1300. if you do this yourself, then anywhere from nothing (if you mod the harness yourself) 400 to have a shop mod it for you up to 900 for a painless aftermarket setup that will be plug and play or make the set up hook up with 4 wires (stater, ign, ground, power, or something like that)...
electric fans

i think the most important thing is to have patience and if you have done several motor swaps etc. then it is basically the same thing, minus the fuel delivery and wire up of the injection, front sensors, etc. there are actually some good write ups that will help you get this done...

if you find the motor for around 450-1000 (and turn key, meaning no injectors stuck etc, which will run you around 100 per), look to be spending around $4000 in the car and running, unless you save in certain areas by doing it or figuring it out yourself

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
i have seen a 5.3 put in a 2 door malibu and it was a truck motor with the truck setup and it clears the hood fine. you can either fab motor mounts or brp muscle cars sells the motor mounts etc.....harness you can either get it modded or painless like skip said above. in my car i already had a fule injected motor in my car so it would not be that bad of a swap just need the $$$$ one day when my tbi 350 gets tired ill do it.overall its not that hard to do. either the 4.8 or 5.3 are good engines the 5.3 would be easier to do also you can contact turnkey engine supply as they offer computer and harness options as well.

o ARC ATHEISTxX

Greasemonkey
May 1, 2011
Los Angeles
LT1SWAP.com has the schematics to chop up your own wiring harness to make it plug and play. I'm not sure if he still sells the harness already modded.

jun_bug125

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Here a check list of parts I made for the 2001 ls1 swap that doing for a friend. Some parts u may not need depending on your swap but hope it helps.

• Conversion Motor Mount Adapter Plates -ebay
• Oil Pan -cadillac or h3
• Engine Harness
• Fuse box
• Cpu
• Fuel Pump -84-86 Buick Grand National Walbro Fuel Pump 255LPH
• Sending unit - tbi monte or Grand National sending unit
• Fuel Lines-
• Headers
• Throttle Body-non dbw
• Throttle cable- Lokar
• Crank spacer for transmission- crankshaft spacer gm#12563532 longer bolts gm#12563533
• 2004r tv linkage bowtie over drive
• Radiator hoses -Upper radiator hose for 2000 camaro Z28
Lower rad hose - NAPA #9258
• heater hoses
• Power steering hoses -
• A/C lines swap kit
• a/c condenser f-body
• Electric Fans- Intedpid fans

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
On the a/c condensor a 91 f body part works great that's what a few guys are running and that's what I'm gonna run. Will be putting it in this weekend. I have a tbi setup in my car now so happy to see I have parts that will work later.....

edwing602

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona
bluegrandbetsy said:
I used ls1 cooling fans turned them upside down and a h3 oil pan. Also used brp motor mount kit not happy alternator is really close to the gear box the belt is tight going on and a/c compreessor is close too might have to pursuade the metal :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor