LS Grand Am Frame Strengthening Questions

smed7880

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2010
Worried the LS2 is going to twist the 80 GAm frame like a pretzel. Just starting swap.

I see UMI offers bolt on stiffeners. Are they enough?

What weak point(s) in the gbody frame?

Has anyone twisted their frame on 400hp LS2 power?

Looking for suggestions.

Stock LS2 with 4l80e.

TIA

This is what im looking at

Screenshot_20230702-215633_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Bracing that is out there will make the frame stiffer than stronger. I add strenth it might be better to use a frame boxing kit that boxes the middle frame rails.

Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
It's true our frames are like spaghetti noodles, but what's your plan with the car. Just cruise or are you gonna put om sticky tires and race it? Are you planning on lifting the body off the frame? Own a welder? Boxing the frame and reinforcing the control arm Mounts are the best bang for your buck. If you own a welder and are separating the body/frame. All those things you linked can be built for 1/10 of the cost, except the front "f41" bars. Heres what i did on my rear lca.
20201101_135253.jpg

And boxing the frame rails
20201011_143606.jpg

Rear uca, small bar from frame to mounts
20201107_151633.jpg

I don't know if this was worth building but here it is anyway. Mightve been better just making a shock mount brace to bolt in.
20201025_173012.jpg

motorheadmike built a bolt in solution for boxing the frame on his Monte.

Reactions: 6 users

smed7880

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2010
It's true our frames are like spaghetti noodles, but what's your plan with the car. Just cruise or are you gonna put om sticky tires and race it? Are you planning on lifting the body off the frame? Own a welder? Boxing the frame and reinforcing the control arm Mounts are the best bang for your buck. If you own a welder and are separating the body/frame. All those things you linked can be built for 1/10 of the cost, except the front "f41" bars. Heres what i did on my rear lca. View attachment 223704
And boxing the frame rails View attachment 223705
Rear uca, small bar from frame to mounts View attachment 223706
I don't know if this was worth building but here it is anyway. Mightve been better just making a shock mount brace to bolt in. View attachment 223707
motorheadmike built a bolt in solution for boxing the frame on his Monte.
Nice work!

Good questions.

No frame off.

No racing but i know myself...there will be WOT moments. Street tires.

Yes can weld.

I have to pull the tank. Once i do ill get more access and will be able to see if i can add bracing.

Reactions: 1 user

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Nice work!

Good questions.

No frame off.

No racing but i know myself...there will be WOT moments. Street tires.

Yes can weld.

I have to pull the tank. Once i do ill get more access and will be able to see if i can add bracing.
The frames weakest point is between the front and rear. The design is a poor copy of a frame extension, Just flimsy. That said, you pretty much need tire lifting power to begin to need any real stiffeners. The good kits are body off though. WOT doesn't damage anything, it's the lifting of the vehicles weight during launch transfer that does that. Unless you have really sticky steamroller rear tires, you likely will light them up before lifting the car. Boxing control arms helps in handling as do good springs and shocks. Concentrate on getting all that right first.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I am putting in a 400 hp olds 350 into my 87 cutlass and used the fx boxing kit… needed a lot of fab work to get it done but frame is very solid and takes the flex out of it considerably, piece of mind also that it is stronger. I will also add the Umi kit to front and rear but only because I have five grand that I don’t know what to do with.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The UMI braces help quite a bit. More so for cornering than straight line though

Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
It's very hard to make a something flat strong. I have a super tall frame in my 2002 1500HD. Stronger than any G body frame but it still flexes, alot.

Real stiffing will come from a triangle. In this case a roll cage. A box in the passenger compartment with bars down to the front and rear suspension. I know that is a giant step in many cases. My car will never see a roll cage.

Consider polyurethane body mounts. The frame will have a hard time flexing if it's attached to something solid.

Attachments

• 20230409_195042.png
    20230409_195042.png
    13 MB · Views: 49

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor