Ls harness & computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
Ive nver been on Facebook in past 10-12 yrs. Going by what other forum posters say. There were enoughs fails combined with exorbitant costs, i just decided way better to stick with stock fuel injection
You sound like you work for or a holley rep, lol

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ive nver been on Facebook in past 10-12 yrs. Going by what other forum posters say. There were enoughs fails combined with exorbitant costs, i just decided way better to stick with stock fuel injection
I don't work for Haltech, Megasquirt or Holley, just been around them a bunch. The only issues I've seen worth any of these 3 products have been installer induced.

Take it for what's it worth. Talk to forum members here. Being able to tune/adjust on the fly in your driveway is an advantage that most can't fathom until they do it. I will admit that I've been around only one Haltech, but that one was a cross between an MS and a Holley. I've been around more than 50 stock PCM builds and everyone complains about something that they can't fix without a tuner (that costs money.)

All of it works if you can find someone to tune it. I just prefer to look at the tuner in the mirror every morning.

Hopefully you don’t take my comments with anything more than what they are - advice from someone with a little bit of experience.

Best of luck to you - Jim

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Well some of my initial questions are now thrown out. I got a good deal on a 2012 GMC Savana box truck. I now have a complete donor vehicle to take parts from.

IMG_20210914_162409088.jpg

It has a 6l90 in it and is noisy between 4th & 5th. I don't want to try and fit it. I now need to find out if the ecm is capable of having a 4l80 hooked to it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well some of my initial questions are now thrown out. I got a good deal on a 2012 GMC Savana box truck. I now have a complete donor vehicle to take parts from.

View attachment 184280

It has a 6l90 in it and is noisy between 4th & 5th. I don't want to try and fit it. I now need to find out if the ecm is capable of having a 4l80 hooked to it.
Maybe a 2500 or 3500 regular van body or pick up might have that ecm.

Reactions: 1 user

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Definitely not exorbitant when you take into account modifying factory harness, flashing the stock ecu for base tune, then $750 per dyno visit. Actually cheaper to go straight to the Holley, wish I did! I’m not computer savvy at all, but I wired it up on my own and thing fired up the first time I hit the key. I’m pretty happy, it was well worth the price.

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
Definitely not exorbitant when you take into account modifying factory harness, flashing the stock ecu for base tune, then $750 per dyno visit. Actually cheaper to go straight to the Holley, wish I did! I’m not computer savvy at all, but I wired it up on my own and thing fired up the first time I hit the key. I’m pretty happy, it was well worth the price.
I de-pinned my own harness as per LT1Swap-about 2 maybe 3 hrs
Im running my stock tune for past 2 months, it does have 8 trouble codes but do they affect anything?
Its probly running rich but is it too rich and gonna harm anything?
Im gonna try figure it out myself before i pay 750 -1000 for dyno tune.
If i buy HPtuners and learn how to do basic tuning maybe i can tune other guys pcm make some money at it like JR, the driveway engineer yt channel, lol

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh. Sounds a lot like my current adventures in the land of the LS ???. The engine that i acquired was an 5.3 from an 02 and, as as been noted, it did not come with its engine management harness or computer. However, at the yard I normally pull parts from, they happened to have an 02 that still had its harness attached to the motor and Intact. So I managed to get some yard time and did all the topside dissassembly myself just to learn how the various connections come apart and that Harness is a major mess of electrical spaghetti. You literally have to pull the entire fuse and relay block apart and unplug the connections beneath it to release it at that end. Did get the matching ECU and it is safely tucked away in the cabin of my Monte for now. The biggest hold up right now is a combination of rain and a downed forklift. Not sure what broke but something in the hydraulics died and they are waiting for a new unit because no one locally has shop techs who know how to rebuild them anymore. The last few connections include the positive cable to the starter and one to the block and one to the oil pan and possibly one to the tranmission and they can only be accessed from below. Means having to lift the whole hulk and hard standing it. BOTHER..

Nick

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Maybe a 2500 or 3500 regular van body or pick up might have that ecm.
I need to verify the ecm, but it was used for a while. Just not sure yet how much can be reprogrammed. It should be an e38 ecm.

I need to do more research!

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020

Would have taken me at least 40 hours to pare down the factory harness and re-loom it if I was focused, informed, and under-employed.... Ditching that for an aftermarket harness was a well spent $550. I see stock ECMs with emissions/VAT delete available for as little as $150. All new sensors probably $150. Wire it up, and fire it up. Do you have to delete DOD? Shoot, that box truck looks too valuable to be a donor - put it to work.

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Shoot, that box truck looks too valuable to be a donor - put it to work

Rear end is about to explode, the transmission is making noise 4th to 5th. And the wheel bearings are about gone.

Everytime I look at it I second guess tearing it apart. But I got a great deal and this is what I wanted it for

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor