LS Swap Afterthoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
Well I found out my motor needs new piston rings. So im just going to go ls I have my mind set on a lq4. I plan on staying F.I. w/ truck Intake. I will not be doing the swap I will have it done by one of the shops around ATL. Future plans a cam, e85, and a 80mm turbo but back to the reason I made the thread. I was wondering for all the people that have already done there ls swap, is there anything you would consider doing different after the swap was done? Just looking for small tips that could make my smile hurt even more after I get it. :mrgreen:

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
next time I would use long tube headers and NOT the holley swap mounts ( makes pulling the engine a pita )

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,024
  • Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
I've been doing some reading on ls1tech about turbo settings, most of it says stick with the factory cast iron ex. Manifolds just port match them to the heads. Ill definitely keep the motor mounts in mind thanks for the reply. :D

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I wish I would've done a ls2 or ls3 and headers along with a turbo etc etc BUT i'm ballin on a budget and it is what it is.... 8) I don't regret doing my ls1 swap albeit i'm behind the times if you follow other builds..... :lol: No doubt about IMO it was the best upgrade and the t56 was way worth it! hopefully the lq4 to be 408 is in gonna happen this year! looking for 500 emissions legal ponies.... :wink:

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
Sweet man lol I stick with the automatic though I would never want to lose a race due to a driver error. And a 408 make huge power no matter what.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
No regrets building it, I guess maybe I should of made sure everything fit with eachother before modifying any parts, which I did lose alot of money on but now I know for the current swap I'm doing.

As far as engine mods go, I regret upgrading my old cam to a larger one and upgrading my LS6 intake to a FAST 102. It was alot of money spent and only showed a 30rwhp gain on the dyno and .5 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Could of spent that money doing big disc brakes all the way around or getting the car painted.

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
79loserbluebu Why do you regret the cam swap? Did you lose to much bottom end?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
85GPLef41 said:
I wish I would've done a ls2 or ls3 and headers along with a turbo etc etc BUT i'm ballin on a budget and it is what it is.... 8) I don't regret doing my ls1 swap albeit i'm behind the times if you follow other builds..... :lol: No doubt about IMO it was the best upgrade and the t56 was way worth it! hopefully the lq4 to be 408 is in gonna happen this year! looking for 500 emissions legal ponies.... :wink:

Only the Erod kits from GM are emission legal. Junkyard LS swaps requires deleting the gas tank pressure sensor which renders the swap illegal. Stock G body gas tanks can't be pressurized like modern fuel tanks are to monitor evap leaks. Erods don't come with a gas tank pressue sensor so nothing to delete.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Clone TIE Pilot said:
85GPLef41 said:

Only the Erod kits from GM are emission legal. Junkyard LS swaps requires deleting the gas tank pressure sensor which renders the swap illegal. Stock G body gas tanks can't be pressurized like modern fuel tanks are to monitor evap leaks. Erods don't come with a gas tank pressue sensor so nothing to delete.

Well according to the website:
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/cr ... html#parts
It is intended for "off road and pre 1976 vehicles" so I guess that rules out G bodies or anything 76 or newer.... Is GM selling illegal swaps as well?? So GM has bigger pockets then me so they managed to "bend" the law?? when I was doing my swap I intended to keep it 100% smog legal but in order to install the fuel tank pressure sensor, fuel level sensor which is on the gauge cluster along with the BCM would also include basically doing a interior swap WHICH I wasn't willing to do! if the fuel tank from a f body would fit I would have swapped it as well. I took my swapped Ls1 GP to a state "certified" inspector who I specifically took it to, who btw who is one the "to go" guys in the state! Very knowledgeable and was very well versed in emissions legal swaps who is also a G body Malibu wagon fan! We talked about that specific portion of the swap and he also mentioned how much a pain that would be! he did verify that the other components were "present and appeared to be be functional" as required by law which BTW are there... Basically if I kept the original emissions evap portion on my car along with the 99 ls1 I was fine. He blessed me with a legal swap certificate! He blessed my swap which he did mention was a very clean swap! It got tested and passed with flying colors at the state inspectors smog test! SO if I get my 408 stroker with or without a turbo passed by the state I should see NO issues! I'm sure there are plenty other "illegal" issues going on in this country which aren't going to affect the outcome of my "Illega"l ls1 swap! OP asked for "afterthoughts" geez dude don't piss on his thread! :? Man I'm glad your not that guy that does these inspections!! MOST of the swaps throughout the country would fail! The car hobby guys would be at your mercy!! :| Most guys know that the ls series engine is way more efficient then any older engine installed in the g body platform! I btw have to get my car tested every 2 years via the obd2 test starting next year!!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The GM website is wrong, the E-rods are approved and legal for 1995 and older cars, check out the CARB number for E-rods on the State of California. AIR RESOURCES BOARD site. http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-126-30.pdf

Erods do not come with pressusized gas tank systems so they are ok to use with old style gas tanks in old cars. Can't delete a part the engine did not come with in the first place! One of the rules governing engine swaps is you can't delete any part of the donor engine's emission control systems. A junkyard OBD2 engine originally comes with a pressuized gas tank system and it must be retofitted into the old car for a legal swap, you can't delete them because they are original parts of the donor engine.

There is a story making the rounds on auto forums from LS1.com about a guy in CA who did a complete LS1 swap into a 70s F body. He swapped over the dash, OBD2 aldl port, all the emissions gear, everything but the gas tank and tank pressuse sensor. The CA techs failed his swap over the non pressusized gas tank and sensor delete as it defeats the self diagnostics features of the OBD2 enhanced evap systems. To make the swap legal he had to swap in the original 2000s LS1 F body gas tank, which sadly is impossible to fit in a 70s F body. The guy was forced to go with a E-rod kit instead which has no gas tank pressuse sensor to delete, and the CA techs passed him. I have yet to see a legal junkyard LS swap and that is the dirty secret of the used LS swapping industry that no one talks about. Your frind gave you an illegal pass and he can lose his inspector license if the EPA gets wind of him. They do hunt down crooked inspection shops. Posting your illegal activy for all the world to know increases the chance of your friend being punished.

MOST of the swaps throughout the country would fail! The car hobby guys would be at your mercy!!

Shameless attempt at argumentum ad populum, a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition is true because many or most people believe it or do it. In other words, the basic idea of this argument is: "If many believe so, it is so." It is logically fallacious because the mere fact that a belief is widely held is not necessarily a guarantee that the belief is correct; if the belief of any individual can be wrong, then the belief held by multiple persons can also be wrong. Because alot of people believe that a incomplete LS swap is legal does not make it legal or their opinion correct.

You made an incorrect statement that could get people in trouble. I corrected that and it is up to any persons reading this to take heed or not. If the turbo kit you plan to install doesn't have EO or CARB approval or requires non approved retuning of your ECM, then it is illegal and would be failed by an honest inspector. Being honest is not easy or makes you friends, least you fall prey to ad populum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor