LS Swap Afterthoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
For most of the country our cars are all emission exempt. Most states have a 25yr rule in which after your vehicle is 25yrs old it no longer needs to be tested. Yes there are those cities and counties and the obvious Liberal nanny state of California that require testing for vehicle back to the 1st day emissions were hacked onto an engine.

Reactions: 1 user

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Those cali inspectors are the self righteous honest guys who probably don't have any respect or passion for the hobby... I also read that thread, as for the inspector who passed my ride isn't my friend nor did I pay him like the other people like you read in other smog testing threads! So according to you anybody who has modded any car with any type of smog controls is illegal? By federal law they are but after some cars exempt after 25 years how many cars need to be of the road? Tons of old and new modded vehicles for sure. I just happen to live in a tree hugging state who require dyno and obd testing. The turbo kit i have in mind does have a CARB eo# not a big *ss snail sitting on the side of the engine or even twins which would be sick! I don't intend to spread bad info or get my "friend" in trouble. So while him, I or anybody who plays with cars does it at our own risk. ... you can keep spreading the "LS is illegal swap" gospel to whoever you want. I'm sure that it isn't gonna stop the next guy from doing it I'm just trying to say there can be a way to make it somewhat legal not all of us has money stacked up somewhere to purchase the erod swap, if I did then it would be in my car..... besides the government breaks all kinds of laws if they catch me then I'll pay the fine or go to jail.... I'm sure you have never ever broke a few rules.... I put in what they requested and got a pass besides I only put about 1k miles on my horrible polluting ls swapped car...... :lol:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
So according to you anybody who has modded any car with any type of smog controls is illegal?

Strawman argument, I never said or implied such a thing. You can mod a car any way you want as long as you don't disable any of the emission controls and use approved parts. There are many OEM and aftermarket performance parts that have been given the A ok by both CARB and the EPA for low emission cars. If the turbo kit you asre thinking of has a CARB number making it legal, then it is, I can't read your mind to know what model number kit or brand you have in mind.

Sadly the government has the power to break it's own laws, me and you don't have that power and you can take that risk if you want to.

I never said LS swaps are illegal, I said most that I have seen are not performed legally, many don't install cat converters, the enhanced Evap, even placing a carb on them, etc voiding the legality of the swap. You would think some companies would make pressursized gas tank to retrofit into old cars to make junkyard LS swap legal. The fact of the matter is without installing a pressusized gas tank and pressure sensor, your junkyard sawp in illegal, not somewhat legal as there is no such thing, just illegal.

Doesn't matter how much you drive your car either, a car parked, not running emits lots of HCs out of the gas tank and fuel system just sitting. The Evap system, a closed venting system, captures all the gas flumes and stores them to be burned by the engine when you start it. An enhanced Evap keeps the tank under pressure so if the pressure drops, the ECM knows there is a leak in the Evap and thows a code. That is why leaving a gas cap off a modern car sets a code. So as far as Evap is concerned, it doesn't matter that you drive 1K as most of your HCs come from sitting around and improper Evap control just lets them lose and create smog. With a disabled tank pressure sensor, the inspector can't test for leaks in the Evap and is a automatic fail. Anything that prevents the inspector from insepecting a car, from a burned out SES light to a cover over a ALDL port is a automatic fail.

As for exempt, that means you are only exempt from reguler testing, not from obeying the law. Some states still pull spot roadsides checks, forcing everyone off the road to be inspected. Also any time you get pulled over, a cop can cite you to report to a inspection station if he or she suspects illegal mods or doesn't like you, even if you have classic tags or otherwise exempt. Because you are only exempt for reguler testing, not from surprise testing.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The State of California is an an archaic battleground of multiple separate definitions of democracy clashing consistently as they collide creating collateral damage and should not become the standard measuring stick of 'legal' to 'non-legal' LS swaps, being an utterly dysfunctional swamp of ignorant embezzling self-serving hypocrites powerless to execute their prisoners but always quick to take a bribe or set up a fake charity. **** California and it's stupid *ss rules and all that stupid '50 states' b*tch *ss speach everyone is giving lately about how all the shops are conforming to this '50 states' california air resources board who the **** are they? **** them and their stupid *ss opinions on headers and what I cannot and should not be able to do with my exhaust or headers at a shop and their hypocrite puppet politicians. If they don't like the rest of the 49 states the way we are without adhering to these '50 states' bs then they should withdraw from the union and leave the United States. **** those n*s.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
OK clone Tie I do give you that technically my swap is "illegal" and I broke the law I give :wink: this thread has gone way off from what the OP asked.. Hopefully The fedz don't catch me and If they do i'll pay the price. I fully understand your valid points BUT in the spirit of hotrodding which even i'm not the poster child I always read faster is better in the old Hot Rod mags when I was a kid... So I figure why not? you can label me ignorant but in way have i've always followed the rules...I for one if I don't like I'm gonna find a way around it, I'm a grown *ss man who works two jobs, pays taxes, votes, and try to keep on the good side of the law... BTW I am a public servant as well!! Not saying i'm special just a somewhat" honest" car guy all around. Pencero I do agree with Cali setting the rules for the rest of the country..... I never have liked anybody telling me what to do :mrgreen: NOW to the original poster MY BAD for this pissing contest.... Do your research and see what's legal in your state and don't break any laws!!

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
now that the emission popo jacked your thread i will give some more afterthoughts, make sure your driveline angles are correct. ie -1/-3 deg on trans output shaft and +1/+3 on pinion yoke so you dont get the drive shaft "jump roping " at speed and have this happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 493

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
I want to say thanks for all the replies sorry I have been studying the lq9 motor. Trying to figure out how I can get 400 hp out of it. Found my answer Headers and a tune. For the emission laws fortunately my car is registered in GA so I dont have emissions checks. From what I've been seeing no matter were you are located there is a way around emission laws. Kansas Bu Wagon im looking into that now.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
KBW, I totally agree about using a complete install kit , being a BRP , Holley , etc.. ( I have the holley ls oil pan and the mounts ) . but those mounts are a pita and I have prothane frame mounts. from what I read and hear the BRP system seems to work out best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor