LS VS Oldschool

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
On the other hand, you could always turn around and invest the money it would take to build an LS motor, and build a turbocharged SBC, i've seen some outright just to the moon wild results going with that combination + fuel injection...

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
the pricing on the ls motors has come down quite a bit, and are getting more aftermarket support all the time... I've thought about it, but already have a 327 in the regal, and the cutlass is going to stay 99% stock, so I doubt that I will be looking for one.... then again, I am a cheap bastiiiid! :lol:

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
for what its worth those ls1 engines are great with a carb. the question you want to ask is should you build one my answer to that is how is your wallet. now i know a few people here in the midwest who have bought a ls1 from lkq engines used 300 to 900 bucks. no rebuild just swapped the intake put on a edelbrock carb and a msd 6ls ignition system and got 345 hp 300 torque. not bad for a cruiser that will burn the tires up. as far as trans most guys i know who run the ls1 are going with the 4l60 trans works great and can take the horse power. now the gear is your choice but for starters go from 3.42 and up. here is a guy who did the swap in ohio. the car is a 85 cutlass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLaRLiqm ... Tpbz2ebtAc

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
No question LS engines make plenty of reliable HP, but power doesn't come cheap no matter how you go about it. To build a reliable powerful engine you have to use high quality materials, how many miles will a 400+ LS travel before its shows signs of wear?.
A top fuel motor will run for a few seconds under full throttle before it needs to be rebuilt, a low power slogging diesel will put up maybe half a million miles or more before it shows much wear.
But all else being equal a modern engine such as an LS should outlast an equivalent older less technically sophisticated engine by some margin.

Roger.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
CamaroAdam73 said:
Budget is always the major factor, but this guy didn't spend that much more than i did. He bought his turbo setup used, bottom end was new, but heads intake..ext STOCK.

You can't easily bolt an older trans to one of the newer LS motors can you?

From what I've read, you have to get a crank/flywheel spacer to bolt up the older transmissions to the LS based engines.

Like this, not very expensive at all:

555-601010_2.jpg

555-601010.jpg

555-601010_3.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 9/10002/-1

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I built a very nice gen 1 sbc. I spent alot of money. The good thing was that i did it before i dated my wife.

There is another option that isnt mentioned. An aftermarket gen 1 block.
People i know are making some serious power and cubes with it and it will cost you about the same.

With that said. Yes, gen 1 motors are less and less desirable because of many of the factors that were mentioned.

The ls series of motors are the new thing. There are so many of them and like it was said. They make so much power out of the box. The research and development has really come a long way.

Just look at the simple change of the firing order. Who knew back then. Well. Now they do. And i applied that to my motor. Atleast the 4 7 swap.

So for me. The next motor i build will be a ls based motor. All aluminum if im still racing. If i cruise with it a nice 5.3 iron block is fine by me.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
LS motors kick a$$ and have some serious potential. Swapping them into G and F bodies has become very popular in my area and it seems that everyone is going this direction. I've considered the swap for my car but just can't bring my self to bastardize my Olds and I'm not a follower of the masses. If or (when) I find an appropriate car to do an LS swap It would have to retain the EFI, computer and would have a turbo.

In my opinion, seeing a BOP 455 in a car true to its make at a car show draws more interest and is just overall a more desirable car. I will spend less money on a serious old school 455 build with aluminum heads than what a correctly done LS1 build would cost and will likely see better torque/hp numbers. An LS motor can't make the cool Q-jet sucking sound my Olds motors can either :lol: I think I'm going to put an LS1 eater license plate on my car and have some fun.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Qdub, that's badass.

Someone a few posts up mentioned after market blocks, yeah me and a friend where talking about this the other day. I guess when it comes down to boosting older engines you should start with an aftermarket block and they've come down in price.

Anubis you might be right about originality, it will draw a better crowd at car shows, and i like oldschool just as much as the next guy but there are a handfull of LS powered cars around my area alone that will blow your mind and probably walk all over your setup even if you are grossing more power, they have 6 speed manuals, hellish power outputs and can rev higher.

Also your looking at like 3000$ in heads to put aluminium heads on a BOP 455. That's JUST in heads, 3000$ would go allot farther with most other builds. As far as i know, either RHS, or edelbrock are the only two options for aluminium heads on a BOP 455, i've looked into it already and went with a stock set because of price for my SBO.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
CamaroAdam73 said:
Qdub, that's badass.

Also your looking at like 3000$ in heads to put aluminium heads on a BOP 455. That's JUST in heads, 3000$ would go allot farther with most other builds. As far as i know, either RHS, or edelbrock are the only two options for aluminium heads on a BOP 455, i've looked into it already and went with a stock set because of price for my SBO.

Have you checked out the Procomp heads for 455 Olds? You can get them for CHEAP. They are based on the Edelbrock design. I'm in the planning stages now with goals of 500 hp / 500 torque for my 455. It should be easy based on what is being done currently with a big block Olds (visit realoldspower.com). About 3 years ago I sank $1300 into some #5's for my 403. I should have held out for the Procomps. The link below is for Mondello prepped Procomps....Not the cheapest way to go but still only $2000. You can get them set up by other reputable shops for less.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/procomp-olds-heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor