LS1 front brakes on G body spindle

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
Great write up! Thank you for creating/posting this, it is much better and a lot more clear than a lot of threads out there. Question for you - do you happen to know or measure the width of the final hub assy? I’ve got the parts to do this but waiting to buy AL hubs (personal preference, plus I want .5” studs). Will definitely be using this for reference when mine is done.
Tony_ru thanks for the CAD drawing.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Wilwood 270-12304 are the only ones I know of
Turned down diameter of the stock hub is 5.85". I bought a pair on ebay for my conversion.
I couldn't find the outer diameter of the Willwood hubs on their site but I also wonder that since their hubs are designed to be used with their rotor adapters, whether they work with LS1 rotors and calipers. Could be the thickness of the abutment bracket needed will be different.

Btw in my mock-up, I found 5/16" to be the correct thickness needed. Not the 3/8" that the 81cutlass suggests. I made a 3/8 bracket for my first mock-up and rotor was not quite centered in the caliper.
He also has M12 X 1.5 listed for the bolts needed for the calipers. LS1 Calipers are M12 X 1.75 so he should correct that in his list.
I also opted for tapping the holes in the spindle to 7/16-20 instead of M10 X 1.5. The 7/16 is slightly bigger which I think is better here.

Reactions: 1 user

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Im pretty sure with their hubs they do not add any mounting surface height. OD is small enough for C5 rotors but not sure about F body

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I think you will need to acquire one to get an exact measurement with an inner wheel bearing in place against the race. Then compare that measurement with a stock hub with the bearing in place. If you ask a Wilwood tech what the measurement is, I'm not sure I'd trust the answer.
Since Wilwood designed that hub to work with their rotor and adapter I'm not so sure they would have made an effort to keep the inner bearing to mounting surface exactly the same width as a stock hub. They did however make an effort to not have it move the wheels out when using their complete kit.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Kore3 also makes aluminum hubs, but only for C5 front brake swap. OD is a little much for LS1 rotors tho. I took mine to work and had a guy in the machine shop turn them down to fit the LS1 rotor. My Kore3 hubs came complete including ARP 1/2" screw in studs. A little on the pricey side, but...

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I think you will need to acquire one to get an exact measurement with an inner wheel bearing in place against the race. Then compare that measurement with a stock hub with the bearing in place. If you ask a Wilwood tech what the measurement is, I'm not sure I'd trust the answer.
Since Wilwood designed that hub to work with their rotor and adapter I'm not so sure they would have made an effort to keep the inner bearing to mounting surface exactly the same width as a stock hub. They did however make an effort to not have it move the wheels out when using their complete kit.

I have a set of wilwood hubs on the way. I could get some measurements.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Just for general info, I had LS1 brakes all around on my GN with hubs and brackets from flynbye, but changed to 14" Corvette rotors up front. To complete the change from my LS1, all I needed was the a brackets from flynbye, 14" rotors, and C6 calipers.

Attachments

• Picture 314.jpg
    Picture 314.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 361

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Just for general info, I had LS1 brakes all around on my GN with hubs and brackets from flynbye, but changed to 14" Corvette rotors up front. To complete the change from my LS1, all I needed was the a brackets from flynbye, 14" rotors, and C6 calipers.
Could you fit 15" rims with the LS1 rear brakes?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor