LS1 front brakes on G body spindle

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'm sure you are right and these were new aftermarket ones. So it wasn't heat from usage that caused it. I wouldn't think the machining would cause that much heat. So that leaves that they were made that way.

Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I have a set of wilwood hubs on the way. I could get some measurements.

Wilwood 270-12304 are the only ones I know of

Based on me now having to decide what to do about the issue with my turned down stock hubs, I've become more interested in knowing whether the Wilwood hubs are a viable option for using with the LS1 rotors and calipers.
Have either of you guys got any more information on that since your last posts?

Last edited:

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Based on me know having to decide what to do about the issue with my turned down stock hubs, I've become more interested in knowing whether the Wilwood hubs are a viable option for using with the LS1 rotors and calipers.

Waiting on delivery. Being held up by some fittings in my Summit order. Should be here in a week or two.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Based on me now having to decide what to do about the issue with my turned down stock hubs, I've become more interested in knowing whether the Wilwood hubs are a viable option for using with the LS1 rotors and calipers.

Message me, I can try and check tonight.

Or call wilwood.

UMI stocks them too

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I decided to try and get my hubs machined flat. I first took them to a brake shop I've used before but he said he didn't think his brake machine would do a good job on the hubs and recommended a machine shop.
So I took them to a machine shop recommended by him.
That guy said it was heat from machining off the rotor part of the hubs that caused them to warp. It didn't surprise him at all. He said he will be able have them done by early next week.
So, I'm going to see how this plays out before thinking more about the Wilwood hubs.

I did study the Wilwood hub diagram, compared some of the measurements to my stock turned down hub and I am thinking that they would work. It's all about the OD but if it's known they will fit inside of Corvette rotors they should fit inside LS1 rotors too.

Reactions: 2 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
UMI does sell them in a kit for C5/C6 conversions. So they should fit.
Agree. It will fit inside the LS1 rotor and will work.

There does however appear to be a sight difference in measurement from the rear of the inside bearing to the face of the hub.
Wilwood specs say 1.52" and the best I could measure this on a stock hub is 1.45".
Not a large difference at all but it will affect the centering of the rotor inside the caliper. This is going to mean that there will be a slight difference in what will be needed for the caliper abutment bracket thickness.

Last edited:

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Maybe this is a common irregularity. Maybe they don't have to sit perfectly and certain amount of play is within specs. I've done 4 of these conversions, but I never checked to see if there was any rocking such that you have discovered. Why don't you install them and torque down the lugnuts and see if you can see or feel any irregularity? That's what I would do before I'd buy new ones.

Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Maybe this is a common irregularity. Maybe they don't have to sit perfectly and certain amount of play is within specs. I've done 4 of these conversions, but I never checked to see if there was any rocking such that you have discovered. Why don't you install them and torque down the lugnuts and see if you can see or feel any irregularity? That's what I would do before I'd buy new ones.
Like I said for now I'm not buying new ones but will see how this turns out when I get my stock hubs back from the machine shop. I think they will be OK after machining down flat.
In no way would I consider using them without being a flush fit. Too much risk of having a failure of some type and at worst a failure that could be a loss of wheel while going down the road.

I'd suggest everyone doing or has done this conversion should at least check the hub faces for flatness. Even though your conversions have been OK thus far, I'd check them if I were you. This is not something to take a chance on and isn't hard to check. Mine are warped so we know it can happen.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Waiting on delivery. Being held up by some fittings in my Summit order. Should be here in a week or two.
Do you have them yet?

I got my cut down hubs back from the machine shop. They are flat now but not still without problems. I checked the lateral runout on the hubs with a dial indicator. One had 9 thousandths and the other had 3!
Not sure if I should throw in the towel or take them back to the machine shop. This is getting very frustrating.

IMG_1100.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor