LSX G-body Swap Write Up

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
The truck pan is 8" from where it bolts to the block to the sump. How deep is the muscle car pan or the "Hummer" pan at the sump?
If the snow clears up this weekend il go measure them again to be sure.
The sump on the muscle car pan is 7.5 inch
The sump on the stock truck pan is 8.35 inch and both are my personal measurements i had wrote down.
The muscle car pan right now as it sits in my car hangs about a 1 inch to 1.5 inch below my cross member.

I also have buddys that have used the Holley and CTSV pan and i have theirs wrote down
Holley is 5.75 to 6 he said that he laid under the car and did that so that's why its not accurate LOL
CTSV is 5.5 inch
I hope that helps you choose a pan.

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
If the snow clears up this weekend il go measure them again to be sure.
The sump on the muscle car pan is 7.5 inch
The sump on the stock truck pan is 8.35 inch and both are my personal measurements i had wrote down.
The muscle car pan right now as it sits in my car hangs about a 1 inch to 1.5 inch below my cross member.

I also have buddys that have used the Holley and CTSV pan and i have theirs wrote down
Holley is 5.75 to 6 he said that he laid under the car and did that so that's why its not accurate LOL
CTSV is 5.5 inch
I hope that helps you choose a pan.
Ah yes thank you, that helps!

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
my personal opinion is if you are going to do a ls then why on earth would you put a carb on a modern engine? its honestly cheaper to keep the EFI in most cases. there are affordable services that will rework the harness and flash the computer cheap. I also recently started seeing shaved 5.3 intakes that look awesome so you don't even have to switch to a LS1 intake now. intake, carb, ignition controller..... all add up to more than the wire harness rework and computer flash. check this link for an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wiring-harness- ... 15&vxp=mtr

The fuel system for the fuel injection costs a lot more than a carb setup, unless your starting off with a car that already has Fuel injection. Summit has a fuel system kit for carb applications for $313. My LY6 didn't come with an ecu or wiring harness. I already Holley 850 DP so I bought the GM single plane intake for $200 off ebay. Another $300 for the MSD 6012 to run the coils. If I didn't have big power aspirations, I could have settled on that and been up and running.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
The fuel system for the fuel injection costs a lot more than a carb setup, unless your starting off with a car that already has Fuel injection. Summit has a fuel system kit for carb applications for $313. My LY6 didn't come with an ecu or wiring harness. I already Holley 850 DP so I bought the GM single plane intake for $200 off ebay. Another $300 for the MSD 6012 to run the coils. If I didn't have big power aspirations, I could have settled on that and been up and running.
Yep i agree with that completely. Alot is deal dependent too. I think its possible to be cheaper one way or the other just depending on what you have or dont

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
How many of the flex plate bolts do I need to order to go with the spacer for a 5.3/th400 combo? Or am I replacing all the original bolts with the new longer ones? Also, does the spacer go between the converter and the flex plate, or between the flex plate and the crank?

Last edited:

Ole fool

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2017
Hi,
Considering.... (scratch that)..going to do an LS swap on my wife's 79 SS El Camino and have decided to buy a donor vehicle
What should I look for and what should I stay away from... I'm thinking a 2wd truck 5.3 or 6.0 and an auto trans
I plan on using the EFI and a cable throttle body But I need a little insight as to what vehicles & what years will have what ...i.e. 4l60e 70, 80 drive by wire or cable throttle etc. I've tried to research it but the more I look the more I learn & the more my head spins ... if someone could condense the information that is pertinent to my situation that would be a great help ...... I just want a crisp driver I'm not looking to break the sound barrier or anything
Headers and a 3.73 post are about the extent of the mods I want..... and some suspension mods to plant the tires
(Wheel hops like all the rest)
Thanks in advance this Ole' Fool

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Out of curiosity, will the corvette accessories work with no mods or is it a must that the AC compressor be relocated

Dillont91

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2019
I have a 79 Malibu and I'm putting in the 5.3 I have the plates for motor mount but I'm running in to a issue with the power steering pully hitting the gear box and the transmission mount is tight like the motor needs to come back anyone know what pully I need or what I should do?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hi! Does anyone know how to make my LS make 1000 whorespowers?

Will I need a tune?

20190109_162109.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor