LT1 Dayco pulley squeal

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Look at the pic of the two pulleys side by side. the big pulley is clean inside and the small pulley has dirt, grease or something showing.
Reason for this is because the big pulley was never used. The small pulley, I popped the bearing seal and packed grease in. The squeal did go away for a short period, like a couple rides. But it got liquidy and centrifugally splattered out pretty quickly.

Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
What about putting a shim behind the pulley?

I would look at the back of the pulley and see if it has been rubbing on the bracket.

Measure the thickness of the bearing on the big and small pulleys are they the same is there any offset on one of the pulleys.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
What about putting a shim behind the pulley?

I would look at the back of the pulley and see if it has been rubbing on the bracket.

Measure the thickness of the bearing on the big and small pulleys are they the same is there any offset on one of the pulleys.
I havent seen any indicators of rubbing but i can look again. I think putting a washer behind the pulley would put the belt out of alignment. I am wondering if i should run the pulley loose and tighten till squeal goes way, at least see if that works …

The grease did work but spewed out as i mentioned above. Wondering if/where i could find a heavier grease.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Thinking shims like these not a thick washer.

Maybe 5 or 10 thousandths.

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Current pulley (small one) is p/n Dayco 89130

First pulley (large one) came with the bracket. Almost touches frame.

Standoff bracket is p/n Dorman 34209
(I believe this is the one I used)
If I recall correctly, people have had issues with the quality of that dorman part. It took me years but an original ac Delco standoff showed up on ebay literally just before I hit order for the dorman part. It is possible that the fit is bad enough that pulley alignment is too far off and the belt is rubbing the outer lip and being recentered every revolution. I know some people have had to align it by putting washers between the standoff and the ac bracket with a straight edge going across the installed pulley and adjacent pulleys. Also, I know I have seen spacing adjusted by putting washers behind the pulley itself, as indicated later in this thread.

Regarding the grease, I would give RED TEK® Ultra Tacky Grease a try.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
If I recall correctly, people have had issues with the quality of that dorman part. It took me years but an original ac Delco standoff showed up on ebay literally just before I hit order for the dorman part. It is possible that the fit is bad enough that pulley alignment is too far off and the belt is rubbing the outer lip and being recentered every revolution. I know some people have had to align it by putting washers between the standoff and the ac bracket with a straight edge going across the installed pulley and adjacent pulleys. Also, I know I have seen spacing adjusted by putting washers behind the pulley itself, as indicated later in this thread.

Regarding the grease, I would give RED TEK® Ultra Tacky Grease a try.
Dyrt are you an LT1 guy?

I took the car to work today (1-1/2 hr round trip) the belt is pretty new ~3 hrs. I noticed belt rubber residue on the bracket. So i am now thinking the belt is rubbing.

Was going to say theres no way its out of alignment due to LT1 accessory bracket. However clearly you are on to something.

How can i measure for belt alignment? Or is it a trial and error thing?

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Dyrt are you an LT1 guy?

I took the car to work today (1-1/2 hr round trip) the belt is pretty new ~3 hrs. I noticed belt rubber residue on the bracket. So i am now thinking the belt is rubbing.

Was going to say theres no way its out of alignment due to LT1 accessory bracket. However clearly you are on to something.

How can i measure for belt alignment? Or is it a trial and error thing?
I wouldn't say I'm an LT1 guy as much as I did LT1 swap into my '86 regal limited back in 2006. My goal was always to have an LT1 with AC and a six speed, which I eventually accomplished except for the AC. When the AC pump that was running dry started making a ton of noise I started looking for a delete pulley but didn't want to use an aftermarket one since I had read so many bad things. Unfortunately without being there the best I could suggest is try to use a straight edge to go from the delete pulley to the next few pulleys. It should be relatively in line, and I read into these issues a very long time ago so unfortunately I don't have any good sources to pass to you. I would also look in the Monty SS forums as well as both 4th gen f-body and Impala SS forums. If I get a chance to take a look for you I'll pass along any links I find. The thing is no matter what belt setup you're running you want the pulleys to be as inline as possible because while they'll make up for some of the misalignment too much misalignment is just going to cause too many problems. As I said earlier I remember people spacing the whole assembly out as well as adjusting the angle by putting more washers under different spots of the pulley to level it. To this day I still can't believe that the moment I gave up hope and almost bought the dorman repro I actually found a real ACDelco delete pulley on eBay. If are you I keep looking for one. There's also another company that makes their own reproduction that's much more expensive but it does look to be a much better product. Can't remember the name of the company of the top of my head but if you look up LT1 AC delete pulley and dig enough you'll probably find it.

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Someone will say quite useing grease I tend to agree"....a little suggestion headed at these belt scenarios in general is unusual ..OK got a screek ? Try washing your belt with gasoline you hear me gasoline"... does your sqeek go away? In general be aware of the harmonic balancer sqeel/ Sqeek....syndrome there will be times replacing the balancer damper pully or harmonic balancer itself will need replaced or sandblasted somthing to change the molecular surface...in short ....

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor