Making the biggest patch panel. Is it possible

shark3226

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2023
Michigan, USA
Hello All Im doing a 87 T type restoration/race car. I have now made money from this car parting it out lol I just want the frame and Shell anywayz. Floor is bad. Real bad.
20230510_221107.jpg

As you can see Ive cut Majority of it out. outer rockers shot inner rockers rough. Etc. Heres my Idea I bought a cutlass shell
20230423_143605.jpg

Lopped the floor off at the bottom of the A and B Pillars all the way up into the trunk area
20230510_221246.jpg

Im cleaning it up for Primer now. Now Obviously I would trim the rest of the Firewall off of the floor here by taking spot welds out here
20230510_221253.jpg

And here
At the back seat seat back

20230510_220831.jpg

I have rust on the body at the bottom of the A pillar and my Front of rear wheel oppening. So I have patch panels for A pillar and B pillar and the patch panels for the Front of rear wheels.
20230510_220814.jpg

Now for the fatty question. Well Two big ones. Im going to try to attempt to remove the bottoms of the pillars off the inner rocker/ floor extensions. Off the donor floor. May or MAY NOT! remove the outer rocker from the donor floor. And do the same to the body except leave enough material to work the patch panels for the pillars to be able to fit of course.
20230510_221146.jpg

I think the inner rocker comes all the way up and spot welds to the back of the B pillar here
20230510_221130.jpg

And somehow attatches to the A pillar here i would have to look again.
I WONDER?!?! can I put the whole floor and rockers in from the bottom. Next problem is. And you can see my home made body cart the body is sitting on the rocker pinch welds. Well I have a 2 Post lift. See those braces I taked into the body. Think I could fully weld them up strong and lift the body upper by those bars with my 2 post. Then id be able to get the whole floor and rockers out and the new floor in. Has this ever been done?

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I've lifted my shell with a bar through front holes where the door wiring passes through. I've also marked in red where the body mount box welds to the A-pillar area. You can see one section that fold down on top of the inner sill.

1683809983964.png

You can see a bit better what I'm talking about here.

1674487045517-png.214687

For the B-pillar, that's just a turned down flange for the floor. But the brace underneath where the body mounts are just spot welded to some raised pads on the inner rocker

I've got some pictures in my build thread here:

And RabbitHole has a whole bunch of details of his floor repair in his "Rustier Than I Thought" build thread

Reactions: 1 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Lol, yeah, minor oversight. Maybe not the best spot. But the body is extremely light when it's completely stripped and it hasn't appeared to have distorted the sheet metal

1683899620219.png

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Anything can be done with a little bit of skill and a lot of determination. You could use the frame as a jig of sorts. Bolt the donor floor to the frame (with new body bushings) and lower and raise the body on to it until it all fits together. Bolt the body in the rear and check your alignment at all four corners. Once everything is straight you can start to tack it together.

There are some very good body guys on here. Their advice would probably be better listened to than mine, but I think that would work.

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

shark3226

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2023
Michigan, USA
Lol, yeah, minor oversight. Maybe not the best spot. But the body is extremely light when it's completely stripped and it hasn't appeared to have distorted the sheet metal

View attachment 220746
Looks good to me. I have my inner wheel wells cut out for mini tubs. So I might run a 2x2 square steel tube through from one quarter to the other and lift like from that. maybe thatll help distrubute some weight as well.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
that is quite a project you got going on there i take it you are putting a new floor from a doner car . don't cut out the rocker panels until after the floor is welded in place

shark3226

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2023
Michigan, USA
that is quite a project you got going on there i take it you are putting a new floor from a doner car . don't cut out the rocker panels until after the floor is welded in place
Well I put in some work this weekend. I found out the inner B pillar is sandwitched tight between the inner and outer rocker. So I took the outer rocker off and the rest of the pillars. Im going to dissassemble the body in the same manor. Hopefully while lifting the body to acess the full floor from underneith on my 2 post
Anything can be done with a little bit of skill and a lot of determination. You could use the frame as a jig of sorts. Bolt the donor floor to the frame (with new body bushings) and lower and raise the body on to it until it all fits together. Bolt the body in the rear and check your alignment at all four corners. Once everything is straight you can start to tack it together.

There are some very good body guys on here. Their advice would probably be better listened to than mine, but I think that would work.

Hutch
Im going to possibly use this Idea Before I fully tac it all together. That way I kno all Body mounts will be good to go. Then start the re assmbly of pillars and rockers
16841099348928566657362325094807.jpg

I cleaned up the rest of the floor. Going to dissemble to the passenger side. And then the fire wall and trunk areas. Then she will be ready for paint. I practically got this floor for free buying a shell then scraping the rest so Money saved!

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Good post, looks like you have nice shop. Some of what you are doing is beyond my scope at the moment.

However, you kind of have what I'm looking at as well. My next project is turning a fire dept cut up 4 x 4 into this or similar.
Screenshot_20230621-222050~2.png

You mention Restoration/Race... So is the final to be Resto Mod or a Race Car? I would first start from there. In your case if you are going race, I would focus first on structure such as below, then worry about sheet.

On the project I have coming up, I have full frame, running gear and not much else. I'm going to go to total DOM tubing, plate floor pan, And everything from harness to fuel, guages, lights and commo will all be hand craft. Plus I have to add ballistic lexan and panels. What little of original GM will be minimal. I might leave oem floor pan alone, just don't know yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621-221055.png
    Screenshot_20230621-221055.png
    546.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230621-221011.png
    Screenshot_20230621-221011.png
    611.7 KB · Views: 50

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor