Malibu Wagon Wheel Opening Moldings - Thin vs Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
I'm looking for just a thin strip of chrome around the wheel openings. The Malibu, at least the pieces I have, are those real wide stainless moldings. That's way too much IMO. It's difficult to tell from the eBay photos but it appears as though there are some thin Malibu tha will make a nice chrome strip around the opening once installed.

The photo I have attached is of the wide pieces from the Malibu. Maybe it was a specific year? I don't know, the pieces I'm looking at on eBay appear to be much thinner. ...

BTW, if anyone has a nice set of the pieces I'm looking for,please let me know, close up photos always appreciated. ...

ssbrewskyaz - Scott. ...

Attachments

• IMG-20120811-00030.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00030.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 976

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Re: Wheel Opening Moldings - Malibu vs Cutlass

The Malibu's seem to be more rounded than the somewhat squared off Cutlass's. There is thin and wide version of the trim for Malibu's.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana

Believe All of the wheel well moldings are specific. Example 81-88 cutlass only. Might post up a wanted ad for a nice set of thin wheel well moldings for a malibu.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona

Thanks Gentlemen,

I've learned that the 82 - 87 Cutlass Cruiser Wagon has the thin wheel opening moldings I'm looking for. Snagged two from eBay now looking for two more. Photo is one I snagged off the internet. I'll post in Wanted, but for now, here's what I'm looking for. ...

This too is a beautiful car, I just can't do that much chrome around the wheel openings. That's the difference between a Cutlass Cruiser Wagon and a Malibu Wagon. If there's thin Malibu moldings out there, I'd sure like to see some. Parts manual disagrees though. ...

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Cutlass moldings won't fit a Malibu.
Look at the lower body line... On Chevys and Pontiacs the style line protrudes outward, and on Oldsmobiles and Buicks it tucks inward.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona

Right, Cutlass wheel opening moldings will NOT fit a Malibu, but Cutlass Cruiser Wagon moldings will.The Maroon car in the photo has the exact same lines as a 78-83 Malibu. ...

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario

try looking for the thin malibu wheel well trim and not the wide malibu classic wheel well trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor