Manual Transmission Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
Of course, the infamous Mexican Monte SS..I almost forgot that. That would be a fun car to drive, with the 350 and 4 speed..I wouldn't like the Pontiac dash, though.

Ideally, I should find the specs on the Mexican version to see what transmission and whatnot that they used..So far, I'd say there's enough info in this thread to get it done.

Apr 8, 2010
Alright i hope you guys can help me out on this. I have a 1985 monte carlo cl with a 383 stroker making 490 hp in it. I am looking at a saginaw 4 speed from a covair, do you think that the trans would hold up as is or would it just be destroyed if I drive it? i hope you guys can help i dont want to waste more money having to rebuild it if i can get something else that will hold up with out pouring more into it.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
monstergearhead said:
I have a 1985 monte carlo cl with a 383 stroker making 490 hp in it. I am looking at a saginaw 4 speed from a covair, do you think that the trans would hold up as is or would it just be destroyed if I drive it? i hope you guys can help i dont want to waste more money having to rebuild it if i can get something else that will hold up with out pouring more into it.

With the Corvair being rear engined, I highly doubt it would bolt right in. They had a *trans axle*assembly which was both the transmission and the differential. Even IF there was a way to get it to bolt in, it was designed to hold a (maybe) 100 hp 4 cylinder engine vs your almost 500 hp V8...

A Chevy T5 from a (240 hp) 305 behind a 350 is risky. Some get lucky and make them live. Chevy didn't trust them and such, a T5 was never available with the 350. My T5 didn't live long behind my 383 and I took it fairly easy on it.

Keep looking...

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Definitely wouldn't work :lol: Your best bet for a 4-speed would probably be a super T-10, but even used ones fetch a pretty penny. These days you'll sometimes get lucky and see a used TKO500 or 600 for the price of a new aftermarket super T-10. I'd go the TKO route myself, but I have bigger plans... first a regular T-56, then upgrade it to a R&T 6-speed from Keisler.

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
HELP:

I believe my 200R4 has a blown seal..It is leaking fluid and starting to slip..It also makes a kind of rattle sound like a bearing is going out.

P>S> I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but I need a quick response.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
:lol:

Are you sure it's the trans and not something else that's loose? Where's it leaking... put a new seal on :p If it's from the torque converter area it's probably the pump seal that requires removing the trans/converter, only others I can think of are dipstick tube, pan seal, tailshaft, detent shaft, or speedo connection.

viewforum.php?f=14
More eyes will see your problem there.

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
Thanks, good buddy! It's coming from right out of the front, above that plastic removable dust shield in the converter area..So, sounds like pump seal?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Sounds possible to me. A pump seal shouldn't be too expensive, but if that has started leaking, there could be other issues as well. Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted properly? If this isn't adjusted like it should be you won't have proper line pressure and the trans will act like it's slipping, and can also burn it up, at least that's how it is with a 700R4, I'm not positive a 2004R works the exact same way.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
86Cutlass383SR said:
monstergearhead said:
I have a 1985 monte carlo cl with a 383 stroker making 490 hp in it. I am looking at a saginaw 4 speed from a covair, do you think that the trans would hold up as is or would it just be destroyed if I drive it? i hope you guys can help i dont want to waste more money having to rebuild it if i can get something else that will hold up with out pouring more into it.

With the Corvair being rear engined, I highly doubt it would bolt right in. They had a *trans axle*assembly which was both the transmission and the differential. Even IF there was a way to get it to bolt in, it was designed to hold a (maybe) 100 hp 4 cylinder engine vs your almost 500 hp V8...

A Chevy T5 from a (240 hp) 305 behind a 350 is risky. Some get lucky and make them live. Chevy didn't trust them and such, a T5 was never available with the 350. My T5 didn't live long behind my 383 and I took it fairly easy on it.

Keep looking...
Corvairs were flat six powered, and were the first cars ( along with the Olds Jetfire) to offer a turbocharged engine stock. I think thye made 180 hp. However, yeah... that trans is ill suited to the needs of his conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor