march performance is crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I made a serpentine from a 94 sbc 350 work on my Olds 350. I can post pics.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
olds307 and 403 said:
I made a serpentine from a 94 sbc 350 work on my Olds 350. I can post pics.

You are the person I was talkin about who built the custom system. Very nice!

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
custom442 said:
Someone please explain how cog belts (for vehicles under about 800hp) and serpentines are better than v-belts. I get how they can look cool, but it's hurting performance over the same in cheap v-belt form. You run two v-belts off the crank, it's the same rotating mass/inertia as running a serpentine and better than a cog driven belt, less you're worried about the water pump belt flying off the pulley??

A whole nice looking v-belt system can be bought for under 80$ new, a lightweight or underdrive system can be had for under 150$

done with my rant :x

I am not sure if I am who you are talking about, but I don't think there were any true serp systems talked about on this thread. Mine just uses the serp style belts. I did an electric water pump install so these brackets are needed specially locate the accesories so the belts don't rub the water pump. There are other makers of the brackets, but the ones that I have seen are steel. Plus I would have to order the adapter mounts. It just seemed like a nicer/quicker install if I bought a whole kit, that is "SUPPOSED" to bolt right up, but I won't go into that again! LOL!!!!!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I personally hate the Olds v8 V belt setup. Very much a POS to deal with. Really one of the few pains with these great motors.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
slone56 said:
I am not sure if I am who you are talking about, but I don't think there were any true serp systems talked about on this thread. Mine just uses the serp style belts. I did an electric water pump install so these brackets are needed specially locate the accesories so the belts don't rub the water pump. There are other makers of the brackets, but the ones that I have seen are steel. Plus I would have to order the adapter mounts. It just seemed like a nicer/quicker install if I bought a whole kit, that is "SUPPOSED" to bolt right up, but I won't go into that again! LOL!!!!!

I'm talkin about people who buy serpentine belt systems, I thought I was clear enough in the post

Most any pulleys you buy aren't a direct fit, v-belts are easier all the way around. New accessory brackets can be made or bought very cheap to relocate the old ones and drive them from the old crank pulley bypassing the water pump, probably wulda been easier.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
I don't have access to a CNC machine, so it would be hard to make these. Steel brackets are ugly IMO. I don't want some home made looking jobie, so I did what I had to do.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
Been awhile since I posted any news. The alt pivot bolt broke right away last year. Which is a 6" Allen bolt, kind of hard to find at hardware stores, so, I called March and they sent me a new one for FREE!!! Wish that was the end of the story, but nope, It broke too at the very end of the nice weather season. So, I let it sit out there all winter like that. Just yesterday I have realized that the brackets that are sandwiched behind the water pump flex and give too much, allowing the alt. to pivot, and it is working that bolt until it breaks. With the system fully installed, you can squeeze the 2 sides(both plys) of the alt. belt slightly and see that this is happening.

Now a new problem has is occuring. These brackets that are sandwiched between the block and water pump, will actually slide back and forth slightly(bracket bolt hole to bolt clearance), causing water leaks. This kit actually doubles the amount of water pump gaskets used from 2, to 4. I have fixed water pump leaks twice now. When the alt. pivot bolt breaks, there is now no belt tension on the bracket, and the bracket slides inward some and the water pump gaskets start leaking instantly. I have had the bolt break twice, and both leaks started immediately.

So, everytime the bolt breaks, I get to remove the power steering pump/brackets( to repair water leaks), alternator/brackets, water pump, and these stupid "pinched" brackets, sand, and paint the front of the head, from where the loose alt. bounces around which rubs and scratches the head. :puke:

This time I went to Fastenal to get a 6" grade 8 allen screw, and took the time to make all 4 gaskets out of fiber-reinforced rubber sheeting. I hope the Grade 8 will do the trick, and the rubber gaskets will withstand the sliding affect, and not leak like the paper gaskets would.

I just put it all back together, and drove it yesterday for the first time this year. It was nice to take it for a spin, after all winter of sour thoughts, cause it was broke! :D

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i think i'd rather stick with a GM serpentine belt accessory drive system as i know that went into a lot of vehicles for a lot of years so they are tried and true products as far as i'm concerned. they arent flashy but i also dont drive my car down the street with the hood up either. i guess i dont get the appeal of shiny brackets and pulleys when nobody will see them most of the time.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
I guess some people aren't into car shows, and thats fine. True gear heads like to look under each others hoods for ideas, tips, and tricks.(which for me is every weekend) Anyone can make a car fast, but as I have realized, it takes a special art (which I am still learning), to make it look good too.

My dad is one that thinks rattle can black is the best color ever made, put some chrome Cragars on it, and he instantly had a hot-rod. If the exhaust fell or rusted off, this somehow transformed him into the "nobody wants a piece" mentality.

I have learned otherwise!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
My 2 cents:

1. Spacers are your friend. Sometimes you have to improvize, whatever company it is.

2. March Performance really, really does have bad customer service. I have their serpentine setup and before it was all installed, I opted to get the A/C version, got two additional pieces and the A/C compressor from them, and so two of the original pieces were un-used (and un-marked, like new). They wouldn't take it back for refund. WTF? Mind you, these two pieces are about $600 each. So hard for me to sell them, and now, I'm stuck with them. But they don't care, they made the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor