Master cylinder and booster questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
My brakes leave a lot to be desired especially considering the parts

The front brakes are discs with ssbc dual 38mm piston calipers and rears are factory style drums with new factory wheel cylinders.

The brake fluid is all new and lines are newer however the pedal seems to have quite a bit of travel before actual braking power and under panic braking you essentially have to bottom the pedal to get any worthwhile brakes.

Do I need to upgrade to the larger bore masters?

I’m probably not going to do the right hand drive blazer but I could potentionally do the Electra wagons master. Would I benefit more from a different master cylinder or do I not even need to upgrade?

I obviously also want the best booster I can get I currently have the 83 factory so I’ve read a bbody one could be an upgrade but I’m not sure the information on these swaps is kinda all over the place

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So for master cylinder I’m concerned whether the right hand s10 one will fit under my hood?

I’m considering a master from a 1981 Buick Electra park ave advance part 10-1870 it lists bore diameter twice

1.575” and 1.125”

Found it somewhere on the forum here would that be a good choice?

I also seem to have a believe a 9inch dual diaphragm booster would I benefit from grabbing a different one from what I understand there was a 10 or 12 inch dual diaphragm and something about a b-body booster?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
What brake pads are you using?.

Honestly unsure. A set came with the SSBC dual piston calipers up front and I’m using shoes on the drums in back until I can go disk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pads can make a world of difference, I use the EBC yellows and they have saved me body work. They are not cheap but they work

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
pads can make a world of difference, I use the EBC yellows and they have saved me body work. They are not cheap but they work

Interesting sounds like something else I may do however for the time being I would really like to do a master and booster with the best recommend I can afford but certainly will look into better pads as well.

I wish someone had a very simple how to on the rear brake conversion [emoji58]

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
before you start changing parts have you made sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly and that is no air in the system? The rear brakes give you your pedal height and air in the system gives you a spongy and low pedal. If you have air in the system a few quick pumps on the brake pedal will give you a firmer and higher pedal.

Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
before you start changing parts have you made sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly and that is no air in the system? The rear brakes give you your pedal height and air in the system gives you a spongy and low pedal. If you have air in the system a few quick pumps on the brake pedal will give you a firmer and higher pedal.

I bleed the brake when I did the wheel cylinders and exchanged the fluid using a vacuum pump bleeder. I also have adjusted the rear brakes twice now but it still feels almost as though I don’t get any real braking power til a little bit down in the pedal. I’ve also more than once found brake fluid on my booster but can’t find any leaks and if I hold my brakes for a long time while idling it seems to lower my idle so considering overall cost and performance concerns I figured it was a worthwhile place to begin especially considering as far as I know the master and booster are original to the car from 83

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you find brake fluid on the booster check the reservoir cap to make sure the rubber seal is in place so it does not leak. If that seal is in place and you are finding fluid on the booster below where the master meets the booster that would be the rear seal in the master leaking.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
If you find brake fluid on the booster check the reservoir cap to make sure the rubber seal is in place so it does not leak. If that seal is in place and you are finding fluid on the booster below where the master meets the booster that would be the rear seal in the master leaking.

Yea I have check the seal and looks to be sealing and the fluid is always below the master however sometimes after I clean it it will take a bit to come back and yet when I pulled the master to check the rear seal I didn’t see any fluid it was bizarre. As well since my front brakes are dual piston I figured I could use more fluid volume anyway they are SSBC calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor