Matte Black GBody??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
your right about the cost....$60 a quart for the matte agent...and the mix is 4 part clear and 4.5 parts matte additive...if you want flat its 4 and 5 parts. Another thing to do a matte or flat or satin you can't wax the car to protect the finish so the clear has to be a real good quality or the job won't last...

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
pontiacgp said:
your right about the cost....$60 a quart for the matte agent...and the mix is 4 part clear and 4.5 parts matte additive...if you want flat its 4 and 5 parts. Another thing to do a matte or flat or satin you can't wax the car to protect the finish so the clear has to be a real good quality or the job won't last...
Thats why I push the PPG Flex N' Flat premixed clear, its hard to judge how much to buy of all the little parts and if you mix it slightly off between parts, your finish will be too! Also, you can and should wax flattened clearcoat, I recomend this stuff called insolator wax as its clear not white when it dries, I have never tried "turtle" waxing a flat black car(I could see that being a mess!), but flattened clear is still clear and should/needs to be protected as such. Even those thin spray waxes work good on Flex N' Flat. :mrgreen:

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
pontiacgp said:
I'm doing my car matte blue and I think some of you are confusing flat for matte...matte is actually in-between flat and eggshell...
also, as far as different stages of gloss, PPG has mixing ratios predetermined for F N' F for "semi-gloss" and other stages. Its something like 4:1:1 , 4 parts FN'F, 1 part catalyst,and .5 or 1 or 1.5 parts normal clear(2021,2042, etc.). Just FYI :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
jacobdavis1979 said:
well mileybu is flat black and i dont think i recomend it. bein black it gets dirty easy so then i wash it and its been washed so many times its kinda started to like buff the paint. places that use to be flat are turning into a satin finish
Thats why I HATE my primer. My brother put his arms on the trunklid and left two black sweat marks where his arms were and it looks like sh*t :x

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
hotrodoldsman said:
pontiacgp said:
I'm doing my car matte blue and I think some of you are confusing flat for matte...matte is actually in-between flat and eggshell...
also, as far as different stages of gloss, PPG has mixing ratios predetermined for F N' F for "semi-gloss" and other stages. Its something like 4:1:1 , 4 parts FN'F, 1 part catalyst,and .5 or 1 or 1.5 parts normal clear(2021,2042, etc.). Just FYI :mrgreen:

the products comes with a chart with the different ratios to achieve the finish I choose

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
3XBrownCutty said:
silent_orchestra said:
sorry to hijack this, but does anybody know what the wheel and tire specs are on this?? looks sick.... I'm guessing there was a frame notch/tubs in the rear?

not sure on specs but probablly close to $700 per wheel.

did a little more research... They're CCW Classics, $3,500 for 4... 18x10.5 and 18x9.. with 295/35/18's and 255/35/18's.. and there was a frame notch involved..... google is the sh*t...

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
-83MONTESS- said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
well mileybu is flat black and i dont think i recomend it. bein black it gets dirty easy so then i wash it and its been washed so many times its kinda started to like buff the paint. places that use to be flat are turning into a satin finish
Thats why I HATE my primer. My brother put his arms on the trunklid and left two black sweat marks where his arms were and it looks like sh*t :x

oh well mines not primer its an actuall flat finish. but i know what u mean though ive done a few cars primer black and left em that way and their fine at first but then it starts to fade and then around that time u swipe ur finger across it and theres a mark where ur finger was. i dated a girl once we were at this car show and my buddys camaro was there he had primer black she went to lean against it and im like no no dont lean on it then she stuck her toungue out at me and did it anyway and my buddy got mad cuz he told no one to touch it and she had her but print on it and where she had her hands behind her back

ImmaT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2011
That Camaro in the Blitz Black looks good but overall, the flat black paint jobs look too stripey and splotchy. You would think that a shiny clear coat would show imperfections in the body, but it almost seems like the flat black paint jobs show imperfections in the body even more. I would think it would cost more to get a perfect flat black paint job compared with a clear coat. You may find a car paint and repair person on angie's list that could do a good flat black but I wouldn't want to try it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor