MALIBU Mexican straight 6 / stick Malibu.. legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It could be real but the obvious touchups under hood make me skeptical. If it IS a real inline 6 car they made me a skeptic with the engine presentation.

As mentioned points were out of production in GM products 8-10 years before in the US, I can't imagine a Mexico car would keep points for years on.

The engine is a color of red that GM never used in passenger cars. I think that red might be industrial inline 6 color?

All the chrome pulleys and valve covers are ehhhhh?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What vehicle has this in it
The Brazilian Chevy Opala RWD , from 1991, I believe, then the Omega which is also a RWD, 1995 to 1998. It is Lotus tuned, has a separate intake runners to the head, unlike other 75 and up Chevy Straight 6. It puts out 166 hp and 210 ft/lbs. I'm sure much more can be made with this motor. Just very cool and would definitely be unique. The Australian's made a DOHC version of the Ford 300 that put out 300 hp, even cooler. Foreign markets get some interesting and next generation of some of our favorite motors.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I don't doubt that the car was born with an inline. It's obviously had some cosmetic alterations and that may not even be the engine it was born with, but that's not uncommon on a 40 year old car.
A buddy of mine has a '77 Impala 2dr with a 250-6 in it. It was purchased new by his parents. He drove it through high school and in college decided to hot rod it. He rebuilt the short block, added a cam, and swapped out the integral intake head for an earlier one so he could run an Offenhauser intake, dual Rochester carbs, and a header. It all got painted Chevy orange. Now, 25 years later, it runs dual Webers. They've always had a hard time at the auto parts counter because a lot of computer systems and books don't list a 250 as an engine option for Impalas in '77. At cruise-ins he'll have strangers argue with him that someone swapped the 6 in because, "They all had 305s." Does the engine look stock? Nope. Is it the original engine? Kinda. Was the car born with an inline 6? Absolutely.
001_zps304ea224.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I love to see a G body down there with the SEFI swap from the 1991 to 1998 Opala/Omega. I wonder what percentage were straight 6? I am curious what the Combustion Chambers and runners look like on the later EFI head?

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I don't doubt that the car was born with an inline. It's obviously had some cosmetic alterations and that may not even be the engine it was born with, but that's not uncommon on a 40 year old car.
A buddy of mine has a '77 Impala 2dr with a 250-6 in it. It was purchased new by his parents. He drove it through high school and in college decided to hot rod it. He rebuilt the short block, added a cam, and swapped out the integral intake head for an earlier one so he could run an Offenhauser intake, dual Rochester carbs, and a header. It all got painted Chevy orange. Now, 25 years later, it runs dual Webers. They've always had a hard time at the auto parts counter because a lot of computer systems and books don't list a 250 as an engine option for Impalas in '77. At cruise-ins he'll have strangers argue with him that someone swapped the 6 in because, "They all had 305s." Does the engine look stock? Nope. Is it the original engine? Kinda. Was the car born with an inline 6? Absolutely.
View attachment 172448
I've seen a white 77 in Boulder CO with an inline 6 just 2 years ago and it was an original owner car, it's just the base model now I haven't seen a Caprice with an inline 6. sh*t theres a a green one also that a guy next to napa on S main st has a base impala also I'll have to ask him if it's a 6 last time I had talked to him he was fixing the heat vents. I'm always hunting for a 77-79 caprice/impala

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 172448
I love those two door B bodies!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
View attachment 172448
I was working at a Chevy dealer in 76. Chevy made a big deal out of downsizing the Impala/Caprice line and with the now STANDARD 250 inline 6 getting much better gas milage. In the 80s they went to the 4.3 V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor