MALIBU Mexican straight 6 / stick Malibu.. legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
I live and work in Mexico right now and I see them all the time . There are not a lot but they are here. It definitely isn't a US speedometer .

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
D

Deleted member 33916

I’d heard rumors that these exist, but someone posted in one of the FB Malibu groups that they’d got one. Still skeptical this isn’t a transplant but then I was skeptical of the mythical Monte SS at first too....

it was a closed group so I can’t just share it but I’m gonna repost the pix.

to be clear: I know NOTHING else about it, it’s not mine, etc etc.

View attachment 172301

View attachment 172293 View attachment 172294 View attachment 172295 View attachment 172296 View attachment 172297 View attachment 172298 View attachment 172299 View attachment 172300
These are legit. They were made by GM Oshawa destined for I think Iran or something like that. All 6s and standard trans. They were to be used as taxis. The deal fell through for some reason. There should be info on google someplace.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
1) Not questioning that Malibu's were sold / still exist in Mexico, its the strange straight 6 3-speed combo we're wondering about. similar to the oddly equipped Monte SS.
2) Not the same as the "Iraqi taxis" that's all well known and documented. They were 4-dr V6 cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
1) Not questioning that Malibu's were sold / still exist in Mexico, its the strange straight 6 3-speed combo we're wondering about. similar to the oddly equipped Monte SS.
2) Not the same as the "Iraqi taxis" that's all well known and documented. They were 4-dr V6 cars.

My father in law is a Mechanic in Coahuila . He told that was the base model engine transmission combo. They were made in a place called Ramos Arizpe.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Even as late as 1979 the 250 cube engines used the removable pushrod side covers so that is possible. But points? Who would even supply points distributors when they were phased out in 1974? GM getting rid of old warehouse stock to Mexico? I still find that hard to believe.

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Even as late as 1979 the 250 cube engines used the removable pushrod side covers so that is possible. But points? Who would even supply points distributors when they were phased out in 1974? GM getting rid of old warehouse stock to Mexico? I still find that hard to believe.
what is so hard to believe? that gm kept using point distributors for another 7-9 years in mexico? c'mon, give the gm bean counters some credit. maybe someone had an old engine out of their nova and stuck it in the 'bu. the correct motor mounts were there. being a straight 6, it ran smoother than the crappy odd fire/even fire v6 engines we got stuck with. its no different that having a 283 or 327 laying around and sticking in one of our cars.
besides you could buy an original bug in mexico through 2003. 24 years after we stopped getting them.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
It wouldn't surprise me if the reason they still ran a points distributor is due to less stringent air pollution regulations, after all, that is why we quit getting air cooled VW's, because they were unable to keep up with emissions regulations in the States.

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
I just did a part search on AutoZone México . They still sell distributor caps for the 81 Malibu 250.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It wouldn't surprise me if the reason they still ran a points distributor is due to less stringent air pollution regulations, after all, that is why we quit getting air cooled VW's, because they were unable to keep up with emissions regulations in the States.
Similar to CCC being mandated on 1981 US-market cars. Canada didn't get it til something like 1988

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Even later than that, I had an 84 Sierra with the base 250/th350 and the engine had removable side covers, although it was hei as were the other trucks I had back into the mid 1970s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor