Mind warping music videos

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It was Dick Clark that gave them their big break. Once they became regulars on Where The Action Is, the rest was history. Aside from being a great band, Paul was a hard nosed business man that capitalized on their fame and fortune. No matter the changes to the band lineup, it was Paul's band and he stayed at the helm. Ever see on the Simpsons where they break into a bunch of girls in bikinis dancing like crazy? This is what they are satirizing.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It was Dick Clark that gave them their big break. Once they became regulars on Where The Action Is, the rest was history. Aside from being a great band, Paul was a hard nosed business man that capitalized on their fame and fortune. No matter the changes to the band lineup, it was Paul's band and he stayed at the helm. Ever see on the Simpsons where they break into a bunch of girls in bikinis dancing like crazy? This is what they are satirizing.
Now I know where that idea came from. Another thing was he was big vet supporter. One of the guys found out he did a vets bike ride around Memorial Day. The night before (or might of been two before) Thanksgiving the had the Radiers put on a private show in Alexandria for the brigade we were attached to as it was the Idaho National Guard's 116th Cav Bde as he is from Idaho. Us western Pa guys was able to get him to wave a Terrible Towel on stage. He was an awsome man.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ya think so, Hmm,, then its time for a little more itching powder, Hee, Hee, Hee!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nick- only original lineup? After Charlie Coe, Joe Correro jr, and Freddy Weller [yes-THAT Freddy Weller] joined I liked them more than ever. After REVOLUTION! came out in '67 most people ignored them. It was hard to compete with Hendrix, Doors, Cream, etc. but they had some great albums after that. I have them all. Stilll a tight rock and roll band, there was always a quiet gem hidden in each album.

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I'll grant cheerfully grant you Mr. Sun/Mr. Moon was a neat tune but as for the rest, most of them never got air time locally. A lot of that was due to two factors. First the local D-J's had a pre-approved list of music that they could draw on. Even if there was a heavy write in vote for certain songs, the spin jockeys would only play them if the title was on the list. Second, that list was generated by the Bureau of Broadcast Standards, aka, "The Bureau of Canadian Broadcast Censorship". Basically, to get a license, you had to adhere to the mandated standards for what types and styles of music were deemed acceptable for listeners. While you got to listen to a wide spread of musical choices, up here, unless in a highly urban area, not so much. All whole lot of early rock and roll and related genres got denied air time because the "Censors" thought it would cause unacceptable social behaviour in the young people. Since the censorship board was composed of mostly moral morons and bible thumpers, along with a bunch of career bureaucrats with the social inertia of Mount Fuji, pretty much what got the most air time was the soggiest excuse for music available, think polka and superannuated big band and crooner stuff. What made it worse was that a lot of good music material was also critical of the war in Nam and Canadians didn't "officially" take part in that action. ( Factoid of sorts here; for every draft dodger that jumped our border, somewhere between 1-2 Canadians slipped over going the other way to enlist. So there was something of an offset there. And if you got caught trying to cross to enlist, you caught hell from the federal government and justice system for trying; which didn't stop a lot of them from making multiple attempts. Hey, when we believe, We Believe.)

So anyway, much of the later music of groups like the Raiders never did get local air time.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well down here it is different. If you don't have a blockbuster chart topper than you are SOL. The radio stations were (are) so commercial that if the big record companies didn't push your product then NO one heard it. You had AM Top 10, Top 40, and you heard the same junk all day long. Thank God for college radio, pirate radio, underground radio, and early FM because they were and are the only entities playing anything worthwhile. WNEW-FM here in NYC was the shining light at the time. They played everything that was worth anything. They would play the complete Alice's Restaurant Massacree on Thanksgiving Day from 1967 until they closed down. Now WFUV-FM is the only station I bother with. But I am a record store devotee. If I liked someone I sought out anything they ever did. Greenwich Village had a lot of fantastic recored stores. A co-worked owned a record store- Breakdown Records- and I spent a LOT of time there scouring the bins. He liked to use me and the Bonnewagon to go pick up people's record collections they wanted to sell. I got first dibs. What I can't get over is all the rare and obscure stuff you can find on YouTube these days. Just amazing.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Our AM stations were all commercial, mostly because it was the ads for mattresses and cornflakes that paid the bills. Most of the music that got spun had to meet the 3 minute rule or be under, that was why most AM music had two verses, the chorus, the bridge, the last verse, and ended. Think it was Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida that broke the three minute rule and even then they tried to edit it down by removing most of the sole work; did that to the Doors as well. Up here the Stones "Let's Spend the Night Together" had its title challenged by the Bible Thumpers who wanted it changed to "Lets Spend some time Together" That was the lyric that Jagger used on the Ed Sullivan Show to appease Ed. Ed actually tried the same thing with Jim Morrison who basically said something along the line of "Yeah,. okay, whatever" and proceeded to sing Light my Fire the way it was originally written. Story is that Sullivan went ballistic, confronted, Morrison and told him he would never appear on the show again, to which Jim was reported to have replied along the lines of "Hey, I 've done your show, why would I want to come back?".

Up here Sullivan was a Sunday Night Staple on the boob tube and he made no bones about his antipathy towards Rock and Roll. He'd almost always schedule the teen pop music as the last act and force viewers and live show attendees to sit through the whole show just to see the act they wanted. Surprised no one took a bat to that sophomoronic mouse Topo-Gigio or whatever it was. Glad that era is over.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor