MN New Guy '82 Pontiac

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisdmcmillan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2009
MN
Hey all, just pulled my 3.8 today in my bonneville and looking for new engine not sure what will go in but its got the th200 metric trans. If anyone has any ideas or has swapped out one for a bigger engine with the same transmission that would be great. Also soon buying a g-body monte carlo too.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Well the transmission is not much of a keeper. It won't live behind any power and some traction. Some say you can build them up with many of the same parts as the 200-4r but I think its easier cheaper to just swap to a better transmission depending on budget whats available and how you are going to use it. Th350, Th400, 200-4R.

As far as the motor the only direct bolt in would be a Buick 350 but good luck finding a healthy one of those cheap and local. A Buick 455 would be very cool but not quite a drop in because of exhaust I believe. After that you are into changing more things and can put just about anything in it. Hell I put a Cadillac 500 in mine. Their is also a sticky on this board on doing a conversion to the sbc. Sky is the limit be creative and have fun.

chrisdmcmillan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2009
MN
Thanks for all the ideas and tips! I like the th350 idea with a chevy 350 just because they're easy to work on and easy to find as well as parts aplenty . I would just hope the rear end could handle the upgrade. I'd like to delete the computer and all that and have it be all mechanical. It had alot of wires going to the carburetor. I'm planning on painting it either metallic topaz blue or a more modern dark charcoal color and planning on some Cragars after I find the engine and trans. I'm glad there's so much you can do to these cars as mentioned too.

84BuickGS

n00b
Apr 21, 2008
1984 Buick Regal completely stripped all computer wires and parts out of it. If it has a computer in it I do not want it. Swapped in a sbc 350 and 350 trans.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor