Monte Carlo SS seat backs leans too far back

Status
Not open for further replies.

737Mech

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2019
1986 Monte Carlo SS drivers side seat back leans too far back. I have tried pulling the cover off, loosening the two bolts and adjusting that way. Not much help. Is there a specific wear item in the seat that must be replaced? Don’t want to change seats as these were refoamed and covered before I bought the car.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Thats a pretty common problem with these cars.
The same thing happened to mine and I tried the adjustment procedure here;
It didnt help much at all.
So I looked at the mechanism and thought of something I could do.
I got a nut,I dont remember what size now,then I cut it in two and then cut it down the middle.
I jammed it in place down in the mechanism then I used some JB Weld to hold it there.
Sorry I dont have any pictures,but if you take all the plastic off you might be able to figure it out.
A new set of Scat/Proform Elite seats fixed my problem permanently LOL
DSC_0073.JPG

Guy

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take the seat out to see if someone adjusted the position of the seat with washers or something else in between the tracks and seats

Reactions: 1 user

737Mech

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2019
So the round brass rivet? It stops in the slot of the hinge. Looks like the bottom of the hinge slot were over time, or there was some sort of bushing around the rivet. Anyway, I just welded the bottom of the slot up a bit and will file to fit.
20200709_121437.jpg
20200709_121433.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

737Mech

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2019
I like the Scat seats. Probably the way I will go at some point but right now focused on putting together a 12 bolt or 9 inch for it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks for posting your solution. Was that a triangular hole you restored or a stop that was worn down?

It's useful to the Forum when we can mooch off of each other's good ideas.

Reactions: 1 users

737Mech

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2019
It was the bottom of a slot. Probably round when it left the factory. Flattened when I found it.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
So the round brass rivet? It stops in the slot of the hinge. Looks like the bottom of the hinge slot were over time, or there was some sort of bushing around the rivet. Anyway, I just welded the bottom of the slot up a bit and will file to fit. View attachment 151391 View attachment 151392
Thats pretty much what I did,except we both accomplished it in different ways.
I jammed a nut in there and you welded it up !!
Guy

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor