Monte SS front air dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Alright I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile. I understand the idea behind the front plastic air dam is to move air up and through the radiator. That's all fine and dandy but what about the cars, like the Monte Carlo SS, that have a box that seals the radiator opening to the front grill? What purpose does the air dam serve then? My original plastic one was broken so I ordered a new aluminum one from JT Racecraft. After it got here and I started fitting it I realized that it seemingly serves no function on my car because the radiator is sealed to the grill. Am I overlooking something here?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in your case it would serve no purpose for cooling but I would leave it on. I like that it protects the front of the oil pan from getting hit with debris

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
The "air dam" creates a low pressure area BEHIND the radiator to "pull" air through the radiator (same reason why a "pull fan" works better than a "push fan" for cooling) for more efficient cooling. It's not there to "push" or "ram" air through the radiator. That's why it's on the SS Monte even though the SS Monte has the radiator box.

Doug

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Ok I will leave it on for both reasons brought up. I guess it does make sense that a low pressure area would be created behind it drawing air up into the engine. Would it make sense to cut about a 3" section out of the air box where it meets the core support? That way air would be coming in from the grill and it would be coming up from the air dam? Im not an engineer just spitballing here.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
oldtinsmith said:
The "air dam" creates a low pressure area BEHIND the radiator to "pull" air through the radiator (same reason why a "pull fan" works better than a "push fan" for cooling) for more efficient cooling. It's not there to "push" or "ram" air through the radiator. That's why it's on the SS Monte even though the SS Monte has the radiator box.

Doug

Great info - I don't know why but never thought of that.

Mine has been missing for years on my Olds powered gbody and it runs a little warm on the highway and at idle. Runs cool on secondary roads. Plan to add the air dam back in the spring, as well as replace the under-drive pullies with std Olds crank & wp ones.

Sorry for the hijack.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I would not cut a 3" section out of the air box. I'm pretty sure the old saying applies here: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I'm sure that most (if not all) Monte SS's didn't have an overheating problem from the factory (I don't remember any recalls). If I wanted to draw more air through the radiator, I'd put a wider (in length) air dam on my car. When (or if :rofl: ) I ever get my El Camino done, I'll be putting the 46 inch wide air dam I got off of a loaded optioned 1978 Grand Am. That should draw more higher air pressured air THROUGH the radiator. The low pressure area created by the air dam won't draw air up into the engine compartment, it will pull the air down from the radiator. ... I'm not an engineer either! What I,ve said here is from my own research into this subject (Air dam!).

Doug

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Look under a C4/C5 Corvette or 3rd/4th Gen F-body same deal about creating a low-pressure area behind the radiator (especially considering they don't have forward facing grilles) with large air dams. The air box on the Monte serves to help air speed through the small grille opening and across the surface area of the radiator into a low pressure area within the engine compartment... where all that heat transfer goes from there is your problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think that plastic piece has anything to do with cooling or creating a low pressure area behind it to draw air down from the radiator. The stock set up has a shroud that has an opening just slightly bigger than the fan and I think around 10" back from the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor