More 200-4R transmission Swap Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Thanks everyone for all your help and info. Sorry for all the questions but just trying to line everything up in terms of parts, info & recommendations in order to make the right part selection and decision. I'm kind of anal that way; I like to start projects like this with as much info as possible and all the parts on-hand. That way I won't be doing to parts-store runs every 15 minutes for major parts (learned that the hardway on the 66 Impala :oops: )

If you guys have any more suggetions / information on the swap, misc items like torque converter, parts houses, things to watch out for please post them.

Thanks again,

JAE

jonessmc87

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2007
Old Saybrook, CT
i didnt have any trouble with tv cable adjustment,,i have a holley carb on mine and bought the holley tv cable bracket,,,if u are still using the quadrajet then just keep the same bracket. Setting the tv cable is easy once you get the 2004r in, theres many posts on here about it.
as far as the overdrive, it doesnt go in/out of overdrive/drive, it just locks up, and with the bowtie kit it wont unlock until u tap the brakes. with my 3.73 rear gears,,and the main speed limit in my town is 35mph it was just a p.i.ta. cuz if u wanted to get on it hard,,it would still be locked up and it would bog down. overdrive is just 4th gear, and lockup just disallows the t/c to slip. i def wouldnt recommend the bowtie kit, thats just my opinion tho

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
the the 200 stronger than the 700?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the 200r4 and 700r4 both have inherent weaknesses when stock. modified they both sit behind 700-800hp motors! the drawback to the 700 is the large drop from 1st to 2nd and a lower OD.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I think the biggest drawback to the 700R4 is that I always have to buy an adapter to run it behind one of my engines...

You should be able to move that G-force crossmember back with no problem. I have not seen one engineered not to work with a 2004R.

If you are still using the original TH200 driveshaft with your TH350 then you can re-use it. The 2004R and 200 use the same driveshaft. I did the swap and know this to be true. There are several different TH350 tailshaft lengths and only one of them is the same as the 200.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
oh you running a poncho motor or Buick? they are different with mounting to the motor right?

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
ryanwitski said:
oh you running a poncho motor or Buick? they are different with mounting to the motor right?

200-4R's are typically a dual bolt pattern (Chev & BOP). I have read that there are some that were BOP only, but I am not sure how true that is.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
there were a couple of rare ones around 83-83 that were BOP only and the caddy ones have a unique pattern but other than that they are dual pattern. so if it has more than 4? holes you are good. check the tag too, the BRF is preferred.
for a crossmember, most companies build one for the 200r4 but advertise it for a th400. don't know why but that's the way it works.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
85_SS said:
200-4R's are typically a dual bolt pattern (Chev & BOP). I have read that there are some that were BOP only, but I am not sure how true that is.

It's true, I have a B-O-P only 2004R in my cutlass, It came from an early delta 88 with a 307. 1982, I believe.

His Cutlass is 1986, so it has both sets of holes in the frame. That means if he has a turbo 350 crossmember, he can move it back to the next set of holes. The reason that TH400 and 2004R are listed as the same cross members because they both have the mount in the exact same position as each other. It is exactly the same distance from the center of the transmission mount to the front face of the bellhousing. Tailshafts are different, but that spec is shared. If you have an aftermarket TH400/2004R crossmember, it is made for the front set of holes in the frame only so that it will also fit the early cars with only one set of frame holes.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for confirming that BOP only 200-4R's exist.

Note that a TH350 crossmember will not just slide back and bolt in for a 200-4R installation. There are two sets of mount holes on the DS of the frame for 84+ cars, but only one set on the PS. For a bolt in, you will need an actual 200-4R crossmember (factory or aftermarket).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor