More Headliner Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I've heard that you should do 1/2 at a time. Lay the new fabric onto the headliner board. Once you get it where you want, fold back half of the material onto the other half, exposing half of the board. Spray the Fabric/board and roll the material onto the sprayed area. Then you can roll the other half over and do that half.
I'v got to try this sometime.......soon.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
Sounds like a good procedure, thanks for the tip.

I went into one upholstery shop today to see what they would charge just to recover the board. $125.00 :roll: I think I will try it myself for that kind of money..

So where do you get the material that has the foam already on it anyway?? And most material that I have seen is sold in 1 meter widths (39"). I need a piece approx. 4'X5'.

I have the 3M adhesive spray. That seemed to work good for recovering the parcel shelf. I sure hope it has the gumption to hold a headliner in place. Any prep needed for the board before spraying with adhesive??

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
has anybody given any thought to use some fleece. like the stuff you can get at walmart to make those blankets. i dont know about padding but i would imagine you could possibly use 2 layers to give it that extra padding. just a thought i had as i have no headliner, just the board half covered w/ the foam.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
also, what do/did you guys guys do when the point around the visors is already broke all of the way? hopefully there is some way of repairing the board.

dexter047

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2005
raleigh, nc
chevy94ss said:
also, what do/did you guys guys do when the point around the visors is already broke all of the way? hopefully there is some way of repairing the board.

if you still have the piece, clean the backside to remove any loose particles and put it back together using a 2 part epoxy. for extra strength you could put a layer or two of heavy fibreglass matte, use the woven kind not the matted kind though, i've heard it is stronger.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've used packaging tape to repair the corners - does the job and it won't be seen afterwards anyways.

As mentioned above - what was wrong with the old school headliners that were perforated vinyl stretched over rods. Not once would you ever have a problem unless some fool poked a hole in it. They save a few bucks per car I suppose.

Then again, this method does hold for close to 20 years or so if done right, so its not all that bad - just seems like that since these cars are all pretty old now 8)

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
It depends on the climate how long they last. Here in NY, I had a 78 GP that the headliner was falling in the early 80's.
Had a friend whose father had a 84 GP and lived in FL for awhile. Brought the car back to NY and the headliner fell. It was around 86-87 that we put a new one in. We blamed it on the sunroof at the time. Thought too much wind was blowing on the headliner when the roof was open.
One thing for sure, don't ever try to vacuum lint off the headliner or brush anything off using any kind of pressure.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
I managed to get some new matching headliner material, from a place in Richmond BC called Trim-up. He gave me way more material then I needed for $34 CND. I bought a can of the 3-M trim adhesive #90, for $21 wholesale. Now I just have to get down to the gluing. I hope I don't screw it up.. :shock:

I used some duct tape for the corners where there were cracks. I know the heat will be murder on it, but I figure once it's in place the headliner mount, and the metal end trim piece should hold it firmly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor