Status
Not open for further replies.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
1980Gbody said:
andrewmp6 said:
No oil for 3 weeks hes a mechanic's best dream.I hate the ricer types too i had a kid in a focus riding my *ss in my truck. On 264 i taped the brakes twice hes still back there had to wave my gun out the window he took off.Think of what a 83 chevy 1ton would do to that focus my back bumper is windshield height it was 3am we was the only 2 on that interstate and he had to ride my *ss.Want to have some fun with any auto parts place ask for a head gasket for any year rx7 or a radiator for a early vw bug or camshaft any year rx7 i love driving them nuts some days.

lmao i never thought of that askin for a head gasket for a rx7

i would have slammed on my breaks if some idiot was doin that to me and i was in a truck

The connection that turned on my backup lights in my old Skylark was busted, so I rigged up a toggle switch that allowed me to turn them on and off. I liked this combination so much, I repeated it in several other cars that I owned. But it worked great... someone's riding your *ss, or they flash their brights at you, I just flashed my backup lights at them. Confused a bunch of people.

Great story, though... I was sitting at a light one night. Two guys on motorcycles come up behind me. They're laughing and whatnot, and theyr'e getting closer to my car. After a few minutes, they start bumping me from behind. With their motorcycles. I never quite understood their rationale, but it pissed me off so I hit the switch and threw my backup lights on.

These poor schmucks thought I threw the car in reverse, and since their wheels were touching my bumper at the time, they freaked. I've never seen leather scatter so fast in my life.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Who the hell cares how other people dont take care of there cars, afterall its there money. It does make for a great laugh though!!

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
There should be a mandatory IQ test given along with license renewals. This would keep the mouth breathers off the roads.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i guess im kinda lucky with the local advance autoparts we got. at laeast a few of the people there are smart when it comes to things. the most intelligent on though actually happens to be a woman and into g bodys so shes the one i go to for parts,cause she just knows the stuff or gives me and my girlfriend ideas for our 2 cars. we are actaully getting a parts car from her for our grand prix. i have gone in there and at to crooss reference parts #s and and different years and everything else and most of the time they get it right. only problem i had is when the manager found out one of buddies there, gave me a starter on warrentee with out a core, and they thought intentionly cracked the cast gear shrouding on the starter when i returned the core, thank god that got straightend out cause the other nearest auto parts place is farther away and all the advance workers that couldnt make it work there.when it comes to ignorance ive heard it all in that parts store when i hang out there, from intercoolers on n/a cars, to well alotta weird stuff from old and young alike that just makes us laugh. hell the even keep a little book with certain customers ignorance written in it.
as far as oil changes go, i have to say i definatly dont think i should have let my mother drive my cutlass for as long as i have, cause HOLY CRAP, i told her let me know when it hit 53000 (actual 153000) on the odo, and it must have slipped her mine cause i got back in it at 60000 and it hadnt been changed, so i just changed it, lol cant kill a chevy

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
Hmmmmmmm .......... I know exactly what you guys are referring to . I owned my own shop for 4 years (shut down last year ,divorce) I have bought more parts than some will ever have enough nightmares to cover . I also worked part time at Autozone back in the late 90's . I will say this , the reason that most cannot find the parts are a threefold thing . One is the software system that some goon designed somewhere that prob knew nothing about cars either , just numbers . Then you have kids working there , most of the time , that just barely have any auto knowledge . Most of that will be based around what they have , or their dad or friend has . That, as any professional mechanic can tell you doesnt cut it . Big difference between wrenching on your own car and being well versed to work on a majority of makes and models on a daily basis . I thought i was all that ,been wrenching on hotrods since a small child as my whole family has done . Found out i didnt know sh*t........ I had to revamp my approach to the whole thing and learn alot very quickly . They dont pay enough in most cases to keep someone that has the qualifications to actually help a majority of people . Plus...... its also the automakers fault , they dont want you working on your own cars , so the info they were required to release by law on vehicles is the worst they could come up with . Someone feeds the software designers this info , and like i said they don't know the difference , just numbers , so it all a clusterfu@# in the end and we pay the price , AGAIN. i could go on and on , but you guys get the point i am sure . I sold more speed parts than any counterman there , and instead of being kept on the counter where i belonged , i was busy setting up plan o grams in the store for carb cleaner . It takes someone that has actually worked on their own crap , and has the time to look through the back counter and find things on their own that can help you . I had to go in there and find the common parts ( like you mentioned) on my own . But , i knew what i was looking for . Sorry so long , but its a rant..........

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
dont mess with the parts counter people!

I work at a parts store and I know enough about cars to not fall for something like that. if you value your time as I do, dont waste my time and I wont waste yours, deal?

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
Sometimes it's good that the Autozombie people don't know what in the world they're doing.

For instance. Brakes often require a core charge and a lot of brakes on certain brands are interchangeable. So, when I wanted to upgraded the brakes on my old 1974 BMW, and couldn't find anything suitable at the scrap yard, I just went down to Autozombie and ordered some new 3 series brakes, got an adaptor online to make 'em fit my old school BMW then dropped my old junk back in the box to get the core charge back. The guy opened the box and looked at them, looked at my receipt and gave me my cash back. Funny thing is the new brakes are like 100% better than my old stuff as far as stopping power .. and .. they were like only $50 more than stock rebuilt replacements ... hahaha. (Another BMW guy taught me the trick, but I'm sure it would work for other parts/brands too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor