More questions this time for rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
Hey guys, been busy working on the car. Took the stock 7.5" out springs and shocks. Going to a 9" or s60 still in the air on that one. My question is what for rear suspension should I run for drag racing? I've read alot for stock type springs and double adjustable shocks will get you a long ways. I'm looking for end result of 800 hp. Car will be a street/strip wagon. Wasnt sure how much different a 4 door wagon would be vs 2 door coupe. Any info on the rearends/ suspension would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would go for the 9", preferably one that has raised ears on the rear to change the instant center of the suspension. But, I would look into adjustable upper arms, solid lowers, an Anti roll bar, and double adjustable shocks. I think that stuff will get you on a good start. But just as important as the rear is getting the front end to move to transfer that weight. When you put the roll cage in, tie the back bars into the upper spring seat pockets to support the load.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
2 door, 4 door, and wagons all have the same wheelbase as far as I know. Elcamino is the odd one out as it's significantly longer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
I would go for the 9", preferably one that has raised ears on the rear to change the instant center of the suspension. But, I would look into adjustable upper arms, solid lowers, an Anti roll bar, and double adjustable shocks. I think that stuff will get you on a good start. But just as important as the rear is getting the front end to move to transfer that weight. When you put the roll cage in, tie the back bars into the upper spring seat pockets to support the load.

As of right now front consists of v6 springs and 3 way adjustable shocks. I've read that'll work just as good as trick springs?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
As of right now front consists of v6 springs and 3 way adjustable shocks. I've read that'll work just as good as trick springs?
If the spring rate is right they may work. You can give it a shot, it’s easy enough to change later. I had trick springs in my chevelle from day 1. I went through the 3 ways, to koni spa-1 shocks to strange single adjustables on the front.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
800 HP gives a lot to think about. My first thought is getting enough tire under the car for the HP. Your going to need a good cage, the G body frame needs help. If your staying w/ stock rear set-up the mounts need help. A good sway bar. Check out S & W Race Cars and Trick Chassis for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor